C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 starter motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
vetteaholic24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 87 starter motor

ive been doing some nice mods to my cooling systems over this winter new high capacity oil pan, oversized oil cooler, P/S cooler, transfluid cooler, and I started this project back in November and have been working on it on and off ever since ive got everything finished and im just buttoning up the last few things

so I get to the starter and its been so long I don't remember how it was wired up cant find this info in either of my 2 service manuals... ive got the harness that has the knock sensor included aside from that ive got a large 6-8 gauge black wire a smaller 8-10 gauge red wire and a smaller 16-18 gauge black wire. the starter only has 2 terminals 1 large and one small on the back of the solenoid will someone please explain how this hooks up ive been taring my hair out for the last few hours trying to make this work and im sure il feel like a dumbass once its explained to me but I wanna go out for a cruise while the weather is still nice so please help!!
Old 03-14-2014, 10:01 AM
vetteaholic24
Instructor

So ive also got the large black wire left where should this go?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteaholic24
So ive also got the large black wire left where should this go?
Does it have a large eye on the end of it? If not what? You've determined that you have the red and the purple as should have been there?

You can do a "key-on" and check with a test light but it would generally be considered that a "black" would be a ground. In your FSM there should be a ground distribution page at maybe 8A - 14.

Large/heavy gauge black with a large eye hints ground! Likely to the bell-housing area.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:55 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just finished now mine :
the larger black wire and the red wire with large circle terminal go together on the upper big terminal on starter ,the little red? (purple?) wire with smaller circle terminal goes on the little S terminal on starter,mine is a 85'

this is my ministarter
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by tunedport85inject; 03-14-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:44 AM
vetteaholic24
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Does it have a large eye on the end of it? If not what? You've determined that you have the red and the purple as should have been there?

You can do a "key-on" and check with a test light but it would generally be considered that a "black" would be a ground. In your FSM there should be a ground distribution page at maybe 8A - 14.

Large/heavy gauge black with a large eye hints ground! Likely to the bell-housing area.
according to my service manual the starter is grounded through the casing to the block and both the black and red wires that both have eye connectors are 'hot' on the turn of the key the starter i have is exactly as pictured in the first reply post
my first thought was that one of the 2 of them go to the rear of the starter itself but neither can reach it
Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteaholic24
according to my service manual the starter is grounded through the casing to the block and both the black and red wires that both have eye connectors are 'hot' on the turn of the key the starter i have is exactly as pictured in the first reply post
my first thought was that one of the 2 of them go to the rear of the starter itself but neither can reach it
See post #5 - Alberto mentioned that he just did the starter and "both" red/black went to the post on the starter. You mention that both are "hot" at "key-on" so I'd say you've confirmed the information posted in #5. That is why I mentioned checking with "key-on"

Yes I've always known the starter ground to engine block BUT black with eye certainly does hint ground in an automotive application.

Here's a "VERY GENERIC" description of an earlier GM starter wiring. Notice that it just states "ALL" large eyed wires disregarding color:

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-16-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I had to replace my positive battery cable about 10 years ago. I bought a replacement and it was black instead of red. I bought another replacement from a different source and it also was black. This may be why you're seeing a large black cable. It goes on the large stud, along with the small red wire.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
vetteaholic24
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
See post #5 - Alberto mentioned that he just did the starter and "both" red/black went to the post on the starter. You mention that both are "hot" at "key-on" so I'd say you've confirmed the information posted in #5. That is why I mentioned checking with "key-on"

Yes I've always known the starter ground to engine block BUT black with eye certainly does hint ground in an automotive application.

Here's a "VERY GENERIC" description of an earlier GM starter wiring. Notice that it just states "ALL" large eyed wires disregarding color:

This was extremely helpful thank you!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

I can confirm both BIG black and red wires go together as WVZR1 said..The purple wire with a smaller eye terminal goes on the solenoid S terminal.My new starter works fine.Pay attention to the orientation of the big eye ternimal on the starter when you bolt it.If it rotates against the block you may have a short to ground when you reconnet the battery positive cable.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:49 PM
vetteaholic24
Instructor

Guess the reason i couldnt figure it out is the solenoid went bad since i took it out whoda thunk ??
Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

if you go with mini hi torque here how i did
[IMG][/IMG]

Get notified of new replies

To 87 starter motor

Quick Reply: 87 starter motor