C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Re-using stock TPMS sensors on new rims

Old 03-09-2014, 11:55 PM
Medic Andy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re-using stock TPMS sensors on new rims

I would like to change my stock 95 rims from my LT1 over the the ZR1 design, but I am not sure on what I need to do concerning the TPMS sensors? Can anybody please let me know if the currently stock rim sensors can be removed by the tire technician from the rims, and then to get re-installed on the new ZR1 style rims? Or do I need to purchase new sensors with the new rims?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're better off not installing them. If you do decide to use them, make note that they are specific to each side of the car, and they are directional.

The reason I say not to them is if one of them broke off inside the tire, it will destroy it. I think there was one member here that had that happen to their vette.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:43 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by Medic Andy
I would like to change my stock 95 rims from my LT1 over the the ZR1 design, but I am not sure on what I need to do concerning the TPMS sensors? Can anybody please let me know if the currently stock rim sensors can be removed by the tire technician from the rims, and then to get re-installed on the new ZR1 style rims? Or do I need to purchase new sensors with the new rims?

Thanks,

Andy
You should be able to transfer them to the new wheels so long as they're 17" wheels. If you have TPMS now and it works there's absolutely no reason not to transfer them. They're tagged/colored LF, RF, LR and RR specific. The sensor is 180* from the valve stem and there should be decals on the wheels pointing that out. Make sure the tire technician knows and understands that before he starts. Take an image of the band type TPMS with you.

Originally Posted by Wathen1955
You're better off not installing them.

The reason I say not to them is if one of them broke off inside the tire, it will destroy it. I think there was one member here that had that happen to their vette.
Nonsense!

If they're functional now and aren't broken in the tire removal it would be foolish to NOT use them UNLESS a person wanted to "resell" them to pay for the wheels. The later style bring quite nice prices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP - you could buy an after-market system that reports pressure/temperature to either a monitor OR there are some now that I believe are iOS compatible. The brand "ORANGE" comes to mind - I'm not recommending or suggesting just meant to inform you:

Here's an Amazon link for an Orange system that is generally thought to be of value:

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-10-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I did this when I went to A-molds from sawblades. System works but ever since the change my "Service TPMS" light is on at start up but goes off after about 30 seconds of driving. No idea why but its just an annoyance, not really a problem.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:33 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Polo Vert
I did this when I went to A-molds from sawblades. System works but ever since the change my "Service TPMS" light is on at start up but goes off after about 30 seconds of driving. No idea why but its just an annoyance, not really a problem.
I believe I read sonewhere this is because the rotational motion "charges" the tpms sensors so they will start reading again. Might be hogwash but seems believable

Jim
Old 03-13-2014, 01:35 AM
Polo Vert
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jim02C5
I believe I read sonewhere this is because the rotational motion "charges" the tpms sensors so they will start reading again. Might be hogwash but seems believable

Jim
Kinda makes a little sense but the odd thing is, it wasn't doing it before I changed wheels. I even pulled the negative battery cable hoping to reset the system but no dice.

Get notified of new replies

To Re-using stock TPMS sensors on new rims

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re-using stock TPMS sensors on new rims