C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Service Engine Soon Light

Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 PM
hangon123
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Engine Soon Light

The service engine soon light comes on when I drive at highway speeds for about 20 minutes at times. It usually stays on until I stop the engine. When I re-start the engine it stays off. There is no code left on the ECM. The car runs great. I'm getting about 28 mpg and the engine is powerful. I'm running a turbo plate. I wonder if this is causing the light to come on? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Sounds like you are getting an error code 32 (EGR not functioning). You have the classic symptoms: SES lights after driving for a while at a steady speed. SES light is off after restarting.

Since it's not setting an error code, it might be turned off in the tune.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I had this classic symptom and then I rebuilt my engine. Everything was replaced EXCEPT for the EGR control valve relay. Turns out it was a broken header bolt leaking exhaust. This broken bolt became a priority and after it was fixed the light has not come on. All you can do is go through and inspect and or replace all the parts in the system. A couple hundred bucks in parts if you decide to just replace everything. Now some will argue this is not necessary and they have a point. However the car is over 25 years old and once you get the labor into the equation of solving the problem it just seems safe to replace it if its old.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:57 AM
hangon123
Cruising

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Sounds like you are getting an error code 32 (EGR not functioning). You have the classic symptoms: SES lights after driving for a while at a steady speed. SES light is off after restarting.

Since it's not setting an error code, it might be turned off in the tune.
Reply: I installed a new heavy duty EGR valve and it looked like it fixed it for a time. Could it be the EGR Relay?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM
hangon123
Cruising

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
I had this classic symptom and then I rebuilt my engine. Everything was replaced EXCEPT for the EGR control valve relay. Turns out it was a broken header bolt leaking exhaust. This broken bolt became a priority and after it was fixed the light has not come on. All you can do is go through and inspect and or replace all the parts in the system. A couple hundred bucks in parts if you decide to just replace everything. Now some will argue this is not necessary and they have a point. However the car is over 25 years old and once you get the labor into the equation of solving the problem it just seems safe to replace it if its old.
If it were a head bolt, I think you would know it. Broke on on my diesel and the coolant was leaking out. My fix is to just drive it!
Old 03-18-2014, 03:54 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

On my car the EGR solenoid failed and that caused the EGR valve to carbon up and freeze so I had to replace both of them.

I tested the new EGR valve from AutoZone and it would not hold vacuum. I put a genuine GM part on my car and it has been fine for years. I have heard of other people finding new EGR valves that don't hold vacuum, so it is a good idea to check it before putting it on the car.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 PM
AILERON
Burning Brakes

I had same problem when I first got my car - lazy egr valve - genuine GM valve fixed it.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light