C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hushmat sound deadening

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 05:19 PM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hushmat sound deadening

You guys that have used Hushmat sound deadening, do you still use the factory insulation as well. Thanks
Clyde
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by cboyd
You guys that have used Hushmat sound deadening, do you still use the factory insulation as well. Thanks
Clyde
I do not use Hushmat...I use Dynamat Extreme...but it is basically the same. I do not know if the thicknesses are the same...but if it an adhesive backed aluminum foiled covered product...it should work well I think it is thinner...but I can not swear on it.

If the jute is bad...I usually replace it with the Dynapad material...and hopefully if you are doing new carpet...you did get the massed-backed carpet. It is well worth it.

DUB
Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
I do not use Hushmat...I use Dynamat Extreme...but it is basically the same. I do not know if the thicknesses are the same...but if it an adhesive backed aluminum foiled covered product...it should work well I think it is thinner...but I can not swear on it.

If the jute is bad...I usually replace it with the Dynapad material...and hopefully if you are doing new carpet...you did get the massed-backed carpet. It is well worth it.

DUB
I did get the new carpet with the massed-back, unfortunately I did not order new factory type underlay. I have been restoring this car for 6 years now and we are finally moved inside. We did use the Hushmat, sticky peal back and aluminium foil cover, we completed that today. Most of the factory insulation/sound deadening is in good shape but the piece that extends up the back inside, in front of the gas tank is a little deteriorated,...guess it decision time. I work offshore for 28 days at a time, so I rally need to plan well for ordering parts up here to Newfoundland, Canada. three week delivery. The misses wants the car finished for our wedding in July. Guess I should still use some kind of underlay besides the Hushmat?... Anyway Dub, thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. This forum has been a god send since I started this project.
Clyde
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I have Hushmat in my car. I just put all the stock sound deadener on top of it. I don't recall having any problems other than needing to trim the Hushmat where screws and bolts went through it.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 AM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have Hushmat in my car. I just put all the stock sound deadener on top of it. I don't recall having any problems other than needing to trim the Hushmat where screws and bolts went through it.
Thanks Cliff. do you feel it made a lot of difference?
C
Old 03-26-2014, 07:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

The adhesive backed aluminum foil material will make a difference...in sound quality ...that is for sure...and can help in heat also.

Replacing the worn material in the back can be just the same stuff if you choose.. I prefer to sue a product that will not hold water...if for some reason it were to get really wet. And..yes...I still install the jute due to many customers do not want to upgrade to newer materials.

DUB
Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 AM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
The adhesive backed aluminum foil material will make a difference...in sound quality ...that is for sure...and can help in heat also.

Replacing the worn material in the back can be just the same stuff if you choose.. I prefer to sue a product that will not hold water...if for some reason it were to get really wet. And..yes...I still install the jute due to many customers do not want to upgrade to newer materials.

DUB
Thanks DUB, then that is what we will do.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:10 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
I thought the general consensus is to avoid the heavy, weight adding mass backed carpet..

Why do you recommnd it?

If i were to due the project, i would use the dynamatt, but skip the heavy mass backed carpet to try to make the project a net zero on weight gain.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 03-27-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I thought the general consensus is to avoid the heavy, weight adding mass backed carpet..

Why do you recommnd it?

If i were to due the project, i would use the dynamatt, but skip the heavy mass backed carpet to try to make the project a net zero on weight gain.
I guess to each his/her own...and you can do it the way that makes you "happy". I am not here to judge you or how you choose to do "something"...no more than if you disagree with my comments..or question them...you are more than free to do so...and so as I will.

I did not get the "memo" of the "general consensus". YES...I am completely AWARE of power to weight ratios...but seriously...if a person is THAT concerned about weight...GUT IT and make it a race car....or make sure you NEVER have a passenger in the car....and you only have 3-5 gallons of fuel in it all the time...and that you nothing in the console...and you never paint your car due to added weight.

RULE OF THUMB...or at least from what I have been told is a "rough standard" is that every 100 pounds you can "shave off" is a 1/10th of a second in elapsed time. I worked on a Nitro funny car team where all bolts were cut to 2 threads past the nut...and when I painted it...the products used were to the BARE minimum so when the body got weighed...it was 40 pounds lighter than the previous body...that someone else painted. SO I am totally aware of weight in regards to elapsed time at the track....and YES...I know the car w/driver can not be less than a specified amount...but the "trick" is to be able to put the weight back in where the team wants it. I am not concerned about a street car...it sees to be a conflict in my head...if you are going to race it...make it a race car...and if it a driver...then drive it and not worry about the "small stuff...in my opinion.

Well that all depends on what you are using the car for. If it is a street car and you want a better ride...sound/noise quality...then being worried about added weight is a choice that person will have to make.

I RECOMMEND IT BECAUSE:
The carpet is better quality when it is mass-backed....in my opinion and from what I have experienced I have replaced enough carpets where the owner went the "cheaper" route.....sold the car....and then the new owner ended up doing it again several years later.

So adding 100 pounds (Dynamat EXTREME or "whatever")...which is stretch...would only slow it down a little bit...and like most people don't drive their car like they are out at the track...and if they do drive it like they are at the track...then they have removed "stuff" to lighten it...if they are that worried about it. And if fuel economy is a concern...I guess that is a valid point also...but I feel that if you are concerned with a drop of MPG of .2...for example...you have way too much time on your hands when in life there are many more things that should be more important.

IN MY OPINION.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hushmat sound deadening

Quick Reply: Hushmat sound deadening