C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 Pre-Cat removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:57 PM
88-VETTE-L98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Pre-Cat removal?

I have an 88 coupe auto mostly stock besides K&N open air filter , shift kit and magnaflow cat back. I'm looking for other "bolt on HP but don't want to go internal with cams ,heads etc. I was browsing online and noticed the Y pipe to eliminate the pre-cats only. I would like to do this but I'm not aware as to how my car will react as far as codes and running issues. will it even make any extra power and/or sound better? Please any help would be great.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:27 PM
S S0DEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 88-VETTE-L98
I have an 88 coupe auto mostly stock besides K&N open air filter , shift kit and magnaflow cat back. I'm looking for other "bolt on HP but don't want to go internal with cams ,heads etc. I was browsing online and noticed the Y pipe to eliminate the pre-cats only. I would like to do this but I'm not aware as to how my car will react as far as codes and running issues. will it even make any extra power and/or sound better? Please any help would be great.
I have a 88 too, before my exhaust install, I dropped the old stock exhaust and gutted those pre cats, it took all day to get the pieces out of the exhaust but did not cost me a dime. I noticed no gain and no real sound difference either. I had a Magnaflow cat-bak before and eliminated the AIR emissions system. I would say the heads, stock manifolds are the biggest restriction on the vehicle as far as exhaust goes.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:34 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Not a problem.
YES !

its not actually MORE power....its allowing the existing power to appear and get to the ground.

It will rev faster and pull harder after the pre-cats are gone.

As long as there is a main cat there won't be any issues as far as legality or smog inspection. The main cat doesn't hurt anything. The pre-cats are corks....lose'em!

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 Pre-Cat removal?

Quick Reply: 1988 Pre-Cat removal?