C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission fluid level problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Erniep
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission fluid level problem

I have a 1994. The fluid level is right on when the car is at normal operating temperature. But when I check the level after I drive it for a while, it is way over the full mark with bubbles in it. I had the fluid and filter changed a year ago. The fluid looks very clean and does not smell burnt. Does anybody know what the problem is? Or is this normal ? It's shifting just fine.

Last edited by Erniep; 04-05-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I have found that you really need to let the engine idle for at least a minute after driving the car to allow the bubbles to "settle".
Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 AM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have found that you really need to let the engine idle for at least a minute after driving the car to allow the bubbles to "settle".
Thanks. I'll let it idle after a drive and see what happens. Hopefully the fluid level will go down too.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

You also need to run through all the gears before checking the fluid.. Run the shifter all the way back, then all the way forward, then check the fluid.....Don't just put it in park and check it...WW
Old 04-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by WW7
You also need to run through all the gears before checking the fluid.. Run the shifter all the way back, then all the way forward, then check the fluid.....Don't just put it in park and check it...WW
Ok thanks, I'll try that today.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

my 2-cents, FWIW - bubbles are really not a good thing. it usually indicates fluid level too high, too low, or an internal problem within the transmission. you need to get the tranny up to operating temperature - usually about 15 minutes of highway driving. my 90 FSM states, check at idle, in park for 3 minutes. check on level surface. level should be within the cross-hatched area of the dipstick. read both sides, and use the lowest level.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Erniep
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe C
my 2-cents, FWIW - bubbles are really not a good thing. it usually indicates fluid level too high, too low, or an internal problem within the transmission. you need to get the tranny up to operating temperature - usually about 15 minutes of highway driving. my 90 FSM states, check at idle, in park for 3 minutes. check on level surface. level should be within the cross-hatched area of the dipstick. read both sides, and use the lowest level.
Thanks much appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission fluid level problem

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid level problem