C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

More filtration needed -filter sock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:34 PM
waljr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More filtration needed -filter sock?

I have just destroyed my second high pressure electric fuel pump in a short period of time due to dirty fuel.
My fuel system consists of a low pressure pump feeding the swirl pot via a inline filter, from the swirl pot the fuel go through the high pressure pump then through another inline filter to the injectors. Returns go back to the pot then tank
Both filters are k&n billet inline rebuildable 10 micron filters made by Golan, and they were both completely packed off with crud.

Q1. the tank is plastic, so where did the crud come from if it wasn’t the fuel bowser?
Q2. does anyone make a filter sock to go in the filler neck like all the fuel injected dirtbikes are running now.

cheers, I'm off to drop a tank......
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

....... Is your plastic tank filled with foam ? ..........
Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on the TYPE of fuel you've been running, I'd say that your liner is deteriorating and coming apart. Its a rubber liner as far as I know, and if that's true, then its not going to tolerate all types of solvent. Best guess is that alcohol or some other similar fuel additive has done its damage and hardened the liner that's now breaking up.

The ONLY other place that large amounts of "crud" can come from are the filler neck and tubes, made of mild steel they rust and deposit the debris in the tank. I've seen some that look like barnacles on the hull of an old ship..

There's just not much else that can create trash unless its coming IN with the fuel ?
Try a sterile container and filling it along with your next fill up. let it settle and note the amount of debris. IF the gas is contaminated you might be able to hold the seller liable for damages. But, ya gotta prove it first...

Get notified of new replies

To More filtration needed -filter sock?

Quick Reply: More filtration needed -filter sock?