C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 c4 vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 10:27 AM
MarcusWrenn
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1986 c4 vacuum leak

1986 C4.

I was at the store a couple of days ago and an older man told me I have a vacuum leak, without even looking at it.
I have no idea if he's right or not. so,
1.Where would a vacuum leak be?
2.Hard to fix?
3.Expensive to fix?

Thanks!

Last edited by MarcusWrenn; 04-14-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Forgot year and model.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:21 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Vacuum Leak

Could be as simple as a vacuum hose came off a fitting, could be a crack or cut in a hose etc. I had one that was the hose that goes to the cruise control unit, it had a crack in the hose. It was where the hose went between the battery and that brace above it.
If something isn't working, if the idle is off, things like that can be an indicator. Try listening and you may hear it. If not, just start following hoses and see if you can find it. Others sometimes use a unlit torch and take some propane alone the hoses and see if the idle changes (usually when the torch end is near the crack or break - unlit).
I take no responsibility if you try that one, but if you do then definitely do it outside and be careful.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM
MarcusWrenn
Cruising

Originally Posted by hcbph
Could be as simple as a vacuum hose came off a fitting, could be a crack or cut in a hose etc. I had one that was the hose that goes to the cruise control unit, it had a crack in the hose. It was where the hose went between the battery and that brace above it.
If something isn't working, if the idle is off, things like that can be an indicator. Try listening and you may hear it. If not, just start following hoses and see if you can find it. Others sometimes use a unlit torch and take some propane alone the hoses and see if the idle changes (usually when the torch end is near the crack or break - unlit).
I take no responsibility if you try that one, but if you do then definitely do it outside and be careful.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll get on that A.S.A.P.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM
excellencee
Advanced

Either or carb cleaner is a little safer than a torch.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 PM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusWrenn
1986 C4.

I was at the store a couple of days ago and an older man told me I have a vacuum leak, without even looking at it.
I have no idea if he's right or not. so,
1.Where would a vacuum leak be?
2.Hard to fix?
3.Expensive to fix?

Thanks!
Are you sure his hearing aid wasnt whistling?
Old 04-15-2014, 03:54 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Usually a vacuum leak will cause a rough idle and/or off-idle stumbling.

You should have a vacuum routing diagram label on the radiator shroud, but just in case it's missing it looks like this:

Note the "TO HVAC" vacuum port on the rear of the plenum. There are vacuum lines attached there that go to the cruise control, vacuum reservoir and into the cabin to control the HVAC system.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:36 PM
MarcusWrenn
Cruising

Default Not a vacuum leak?

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Usually a vacuum leak will cause a rough idle and/or off-idle stumbling.

You should have a vacuum routing diagram label on the radiator shroud, but just in case it's missing it looks like this:

Note the "TO HVAC" vacuum port on the rear of the plenum. There are vacuum lines attached there that go to the cruise control, vacuum reservoir and into the cabin to control the HVAC system.
I neither saw nor heard anything going on with the hoses?
However,
Symptoms: Rough Idling, When it DOES idle. She likes to start and die before idling can happen. I've noticed alot of smoke coming out of the pipes now (black). Strange popping sound when I press on the gas to help the car start.
Help

And thanks for the replies!
Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I suggest first pull any trouble codes; if no stored codes then buy a vacuum gauge to monitor manifold vacuum at idle.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:38 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Sounds like you have fuel problems. Possibly a hole in your FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) diaphragm.

Take the vacuum hose off the FPR and turn on the ignition (don't start the engine). Check for fuel coming out of the vacuum port on the FPR.

If the FPR diaphragm has a hole the fuel will go through the vacuum line and into the plenum. That will cause a rough idle and running rich. In my case it caused a fire.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 c4 vacuum leak

Quick Reply: 1986 c4 vacuum leak