C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 Corvette 700R transmission help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:04 PM
larryinalabama
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Michelle Robertson
The old transmission is out of the car already. The mechanic hasn't seen today's pics but saw everything up to yesterday. I will try to get those pictures for u by tomorrow.

He used my Netspend pre-paid visa & just loaded the money on it. https://www.netspend.com/prepaid-deb...Exact+netspend. I don't know who the bank is?

Thanks for all your help.
Wish I had a GF like you...............

Anyway Id probably send the thing back and have the original one worked on. Probably **** the mechanic off but it may be a better option.

Sometimes it better too loose some money rather than loose a lot of money. If its possible to self deliever the trans might save a little.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Michelle Robertson
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by larryinalabama
Wish I had a GF like you...............

Anyway Id probably send the thing back and have the original one worked on. Probably **** the mechanic off but it may be a better option.

Sometimes it better too loose some money rather than loose a lot of money. If its possible to self deliever the trans might save a little.

Ha ha! And I'm not even his girlfriend! But I know more about his car than he does at this point.

I'm not sure about the condition or history of the old one but that is certainly a possibility.

We are in California & they are in New Jersey, I think, so self delivery is not an option unfortunately.

Last edited by Michelle Robertson; 04-25-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 PM
larryinalabama
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ha ha! And I'm not even his girlfriend! But I know more about his car than he does at this point.

I'm not sure about the condition or history of the old one but that is certainly a possibility.

We are in California & they are in New Jersey, I think, so self delivery is not an option unfortunately.
Well if you need a BF come to BamaLand lol.............

Should be many good transmission shops in California.

I grew up in Simi Valley, not that helps the trans problem.

Old cars can be a head ach.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Where in California are you? I'm in the Bay Area and have a great tranny builder that is honest and reasonable. They have built a number of my race trannies over the years. Actually, I think all you need is a connector that fits your 5 pin. Use the pigtail and splice onto your current 4 pin wires. This way you won't be altering the transmission and it should work fine. If not, return the thing.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Michelle Robertson
Cruising

Originally Posted by 383vett
Where in California are you? I'm in the Bay Area and have a great tranny builder that is honest and reasonable. They have built a number of my race trannies over the years. Actually, I think all you need is a connector that fits your 5 pin. Use the pigtail and splice onto your current 4 pin wires. This way you won't be altering the transmission and it should work fine. If not, return the thing.
We are in the east bay area, near Oakland.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:53 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

We are in the east bay area, near Oakland.
Give Shucks Transmission in Dublin a call. He's less than a 1/2 hour away. 925 828-9699. Talk with Jeff Gillette. His is part owner and a good guy. Tell him what you need and he will help you. Tell him Willie with the red Corvette sent you. He knows me well. I just saw him last weekend at the races. He races a 6.8 second Top Sportsman GTO. As I mentioned, they are knowlegeable and fair and if anyone can help you, they well.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:57 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Give Shucks Transmission in Dublin a call. He's less than a 1/2 hour away. 925 828-9699. Talk with Jeff Gillette. His is part owner and a good guy. Tell him what you need and he will help you. Tell him Willie with the red Corvette sent you. He knows me well. I just saw him last weekend at the races. He races a 6.8 second Top Sportsman GTO. As I mentioned, they are knowlegeable and fair and if anyone can help you, they well.
Yesterday morning I mentioned "location" and maybe someone would notice and maybe direct her to someone that could likely help. Sounds like that is maybe going to work.

DO you leave there with a "bumper sticker" that says "Aw shucks" just in case there's issues? LOL!!!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Michelle Robertson
Cruising

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Yesterday morning I mentioned "location" and maybe someone would notice and maybe direct her to someone that could likely help. Sounds like that is maybe going to work.

DO you leave there with a "bumper sticker" that says "Aw shucks" just in case there's issues? LOL!!!
Yes, you sure did. I meant to post our location when you said that & got so caught up in all the other stuff, I forgot. I have transmission information overload at this point!

Last edited by Michelle Robertson; 04-26-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Michelle Robertson
Cruising

Thank you so much! I will definitely pass this along to my friend, who owns the car. I'm just his "secretary"!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Michelle Robertson
Cruising

By the way, here's is the car that we've all been talking about

Name:  DSC01719.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  DSC01724.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  75.7 KB
Old 04-27-2014, 12:46 AM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Thats a nice looking car I hope it gets running right soon so you can come back and tell us how much you like Corvettes you sure cant be having much fun now. Im impressed youre hanging in there
Old 04-27-2014, 02:19 AM
Michelle Robertson
Cruising

Take a snapshot of the connector, the smaller image in my last post shows a casting on the case that would indicate it's correct with an AUX Valve Body, if the casting isn't there that would be an indicator of the no fit also. Take a snapshot of the rear of the transmission showing the output shaft and measure the length of the excess that is beyond the seal, that would indicate whether or not it's a correct output shaft as built like "Hooked on Vettes" mentioned. Post all of the snapshots and let's take a look at them.

Perhaps someone has a correct 700R4 on the floor and they could post a snapshot of the output shaft and the dimension extending beyond the seal for comparison.

Has the mechanic doing the work seen the images I posted? Have you actually had your eyes on the transmission? I asked earlier if the car drove "as it is" and you never answered. Is it disassembled presently or just waiting. The email where the vendor mentions that they're all the same is likely important.

What did the bank say? Not VISA but the bank!

I believe that a Corvette output shaft will be something very near 1/8" beyond the seal. If it had a conventional 2WD shaft I would expect something in the vicinity of 3/4" beyond the seal, maybe a bit more.
I gave the mechanic this info & hes going to take the pictures. I also gave him the posts about the case & how to ID it so he is going to check that out.

I ordered the pigtail connector today so lets all keep our fingers crossed. I'm taking tomorrow off from the transmission mission!! Thank you & everyone for all you helpso far. It has been invaluable! Stay tuned....
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 AM
Michelle Robertson
Cruising

Take a snapshot of the connector, the smaller image in my last post shows a casting on the case that would indicate it's correct with an AUX Valve Body, if the casting isn't there that would be an indicator of the no fit also. Take a snapshot of the rear of the transmission showing the output shaft and measure the length of the excess that is beyond the seal, that would indicate whether or not it's a correct output shaft as built like "Hooked on Vettes" mentioned. Post all of the snapshots and let's take a look at them.

Perhaps someone has a correct 700R4 on the floor and they could post a snapshot of the output shaft and the dimension extending beyond the seal for comparison.

Has the mechanic doing the work seen the images I posted? Have you actually had your eyes on the transmission? I asked earlier if the car drove "as it is" and you never answered. Is it disassembled presently or just waiting. The email where the vendor mentions that they're all the same is likely important.

What did the bank say? Not VISA but the bank!

I believe that a Corvette output shaft will be something very near 1/8" beyond the seal. If it had a conventional 2WD shaft I would expect something in the vicinity of 3/4" beyond the seal, maybe a bit more.
I gave the mechanic this info & hes going to take the pictures. I also gave him the posts about the case & how to ID it so he is going to check that out.

I ordered the pigtail connector today so lets all keep our fingers crossed. I'm taking tomorrow off from the transmission mission!! Thank you & everyone for all you help so far. It has been invaluable! Stay tuned....
Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I have two 700r4s, one is a 1986 and the other is a 1989. Both of them are Corvette transmissions, which are easily distinguished because they have a very large V molded into both sides of the bell housing:

Also, Corvettes use a model MD8 700r4. If you look at the picture above, you can see that MD8 is also molded into the bell housing (partially obscured at the bottom of the picture). One other thing of note is that the "ears" are cut off, also visible in the picture.

The only way to know what you really have is to take off the pan and see how things are connected internally. It is definitely desirable to have the late '87 and newer version with the auxiliary valve body. A picture of the valve body and wiring would provide a lot of useful information.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:30 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have two 700r4s, one is a 1986 and the other is a 1989. Both of them are Corvette transmissions, which are easily distinguished because they have a very large V molded into both sides of the bell housing:

Also, Corvettes use a model MD8 700r4. If you look at the picture above, you can see that MD8 is also molded into the bell housing (partially obscured at the bottom of the picture). One other thing of note is that the "ears" are cut off, also visible in the picture.

The only way to know what you really have is to take off the pan and see how things are connected internally. It is definitely desirable to have the late '87 and newer version with the auxiliary valve body. A picture of the valve body and wiring would provide a lot of useful information.
The case with the V would certainly be a great "confidence booster" knowing that it was a proper case to start with. Coming from a vendor whose been apparently of little help to the owner it's certainly not to be assumed that it is.

How about offering up the dimension of the output-shaft beyond the seal on your known Corvette builds. That would likely help the OP also in identification.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I thought of another option. That would be to put in a new 4 pin internal harness. The ECM doesn't use or need the extra switch connections so they wouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:49 PM
strotter13
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,

I am posting for a friend who has a 1988 corvette. He bought a transmission online which was supposed to be for an 88 corvette. The transmission however has a 5 pin connector and his has a 4 pin (actually 3 pin, one is a dummy hole).

The company insists it is the correct transmission & that he needs to use his old wiring harness on the the new transmission. Is this even possible? And is there any way to tell if they sent the wrong year transmission? Shouldn't an 88 have come with the same connector?

Thank you in advance.
Lol, I bought a tranny for my 92 corvette, and it has a 4 pin/3wire connector, I need a 5 pin 5 wire connector. Ask him if he wants to trade

The transmission they sent him is for a 1992 or 1993 Corvette.

Quick Reply: 88 Corvette 700R transmission help please!!