C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 Emergency Flashers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 PM
cor92vet
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Emergency Flashers

My emergency flashers will NOT turn off. I changed the flasher switch, but they still flash. I removed the flasher switch altogether, and they still flash. Is there a way to disable the emergency flashers but still have working turn signals and brake lights?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by cor92vet
My emergency flashers will NOT turn off. I changed the flasher switch, but they still flash. I removed the flasher switch altogether, and they still flash. Is there a way to disable the emergency flashers but still have working turn signals and brake lights?
On a '92 the hazard flasher I believe is at the right side of the IP near the radio receiver box if you have a Bose.

The turn flasher is under the left side.

Which did you attempt to remove?

The actual "hazard switch" is part of the turn signal switch and I'd guess yours is just stuck. Do you know ow to actually release the hazard function? You pull out on the collar that surrounds the push button to activate them.

Here is a link to a 1993 Owners Manual and the function will be the same as your 1992. A '92 owners manual is NOT available electronically unless the program has changed recently and I doubt that.

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...93corvette.pdf

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-24-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 PM
cor92vet
5th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
On a '92 the hazard flasher I believe is at the right side of the IP near the radio receiver box if you have a Bose.

The turn flasher is under the left side.

Which did you attempt to remove?

The actual "hazard switch" is part of the turn signal switch and I'd guess yours is just stuck. Do you know ow to actually release the hazard function? You pull out on the collar that surrounds the push button to activate them.

Here is a link to a 1993 Owners Manual and the function will be the same as your 1992. A '92 owners manual is NOT available electronically unless the program has changed recently and I doubt that.

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/download...93corvette.pdf
Thanks for your help! I think I attempted to replace the turn flasher, which is on the left side of the steering column. Is the hazard flasher on the right side of the steering column or is it on the passenger side of the vehicle? I just went back under the steering column and did not find the hazard flasher. Do you know what color of wire leads to it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by cor92vet
Thanks for your help! I think I attempted to replace the turn flasher, which is on the left side of the steering column. Is the hazard flasher on the right side of the steering column or is it on the passenger side of the vehicle? I just went back under the steering column and did not find the hazard flasher. Do you know what color of wire leads to it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Under the right side under the glove box. I would think you could hear it. You can't release the hazard ****?

This video is for the replacement of the radio CDM but it will get you near the flasher, you won't need to remove the CDM but you'll need to remove the underpanel with the courtesy light etc. You should be able to reach up behind the CDM box and the rest of the stuff there:

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-24-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:02 PM
cor92vet
5th Gear

Under the right side under the glove box. I would think you could hear it. You can't release the hazard ****?

This video is for the replacement of the radio CDM but it will get you near the flasher, you won't need to remove the CDM but you'll need to remove the underpanel with the courtesy light etc. You should be able to reach up behind the CDM box and the rest of the stuff there:

Corvett CDM Tuner Receiver Box Removal and Repair 1990-1992 - YouTube
No, the hazard **** will not release. I'll get to this job tomorrow. Thanks so much for all of your assistance!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:20 PM
cor92vet
5th Gear

Default Thanks WVZR-1

Corvett CDM Tuner Receiver Box Removal and Repair 1990-1992 - YouTube
Thanks WVZR-1 for your replys and suggestions to our Hazard Flasher problem. I was able to find the Flasher and removed it to no avail.
The hazard lights quit flashing but the brake lights and the turn signals will not work because the hazard switch is stuck in the on position and the hazard switch blocks the current.
Where did you get the 90 degree adaptor for your nut driver? I have looked at many stores - Northern Tool, Sears, NAPA, Auto Zone - and non of them carry such an item. It sure looks handy and I would like to add one to my tool chest.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:26 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it is common for the flasher switch to stay ingauged on Gm products on this period. Take some WD40 spray down by the button that you push to inaguge the flashers. push the switch on and off a few times. let it snap out you may have to spray wd40 a few time and work it a few tims to get it working. hope this helps. lets us know
Old 05-07-2014, 03:00 PM
cor92vet
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hooked073
I know it is common for the flasher switch to stay ingauged on Gm products on this period. Take some WD40 spray down by the button that you push to inaguge the flashers. push the switch on and off a few times. let it snap out you may have to spray wd40 a few time and work it a few tims to get it working. hope this helps. lets us know
Thank you hooked 073 for the suggestion - it worked great. After
soaking the switch with WD40 I was able to move it to the off position
and all of the lights work great now.

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 Emergency Flashers

Quick Reply: 1992 Emergency Flashers