C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Bose Radio woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 PM
vettegeoff
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Radio woes

Hey guys! I have a 89 coupe with oem Bose Delco stereo. I've read countless threads on how horrible this radio is and ways to diagnose issues. I can't seem to narrow down a "plan of attack" for my problem.

turn radio on - displays correctly and tuning works - antenna goes up as well - sound out of all speakers but driver's side door - within 2 minutes all sound stops - radio still displays and tuning works

Does this sound like a Bose relay issue or radio overheating? I'm hoping this is a quick fix...Any help is appreciated!

btw recently replaced battery, plugs, wires and cap and rotor
Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I've read countless threads on how horrible this radio is and ways to diagnose issues.
Well, I don't consider them as "horrible", considering that they are 25yr old electronic tech that sits outside in all weather.

Unless you have a "bench" about all that can be done is to check all fuses and electrical connections. If you want to keep the OEM look Dr. Don, though a bit expensive, is used by many for repair or replacement with a repaired OEM unit.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Tttiger
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just repaired my 4 Bose amps on my '89 coupe. I love the Bose sound.

My 2001 Maxima, 2093 Suburban and 1981 300zx all have the factory Bose and it sounds great.

From what you describe, I would think it's the head unit. Can you hear any noise from the other speakers?.

Pull your center trim panel and the center console cover. Remove the A/C control unit (4 7mm screws) and reach under the radio to check to make sure the connections are tight. If they're all good, pull the radio out and try spraying some contact cleaner inside.

There are units on ebay as well as some shops that will test your head unit.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Did you try a tape or a CD.

Do you hear any “noise or hum” out of any speaker when you put your ear right up to it.

Do you get any pop out of any speaker when you turn on the on/off control on and off.

Get notified of new replies

To Bose Radio woes

Quick Reply: Bose Radio woes