C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Got in an accident, massive coolant leak. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 07:13 PM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Got in an accident, massive coolant leak. Help!

Hey guys, I was turning into my subdivision when I saw a girl that I knew...so I turned around to give chase. That was my first mistake. I caught up to her at a T intersection, she was in the left turn lane, I went into the right to talk to her. I wasn't paying any attention to the road ahead (too busy staring at a pretty face, figures...) and my foot slipped off the clutch and my car crept up and rear ended the car in front of me. I was going maybe 3mph, so the impact wasnt bad. At first I wasn't sure if I even it the guy. The guy gets out and looks at our cars, gets back in, and drives away. Turns out that it was a guy that I had worked with before. Im not sure if he recognized me. :mad

Anyways, I continue talking to the girl, but at this point I'm so flustered that I can't spit out complete sentences and I look and sound like a kissing moron. So I decide to make my exit. I take a right turn, then I see smoke coming from underneath my hood. I make an immediate right into a parking lot and check the front bumper for damage. There was no apparent damage, but there was fluid POURING onto the ground. I ran back into the car and the Low Coolant light was on. I sped towards my house, nearly getting in another accident on the way.

I made it to my driveway, turned the car off, and popped the hood. Coolant and steam was flying everywhere. I got some in my face, that was not pleasant. There appears to be no structural damage to the engine compartment.

Looking from the drivers side of the engine compartment, the leak is coming from the big coolant hose that is forward of the engine that runs from the radiator to what looks like the Optispark, or whatever that is on the front of the engine block. More specifically, the leak appears to be coming from this weird rubber bulb thingy that is located on the underside of the coolant hose directly behind the "Fan blade starts when engine isint running" warning sticker. What is that? How do I take it out and replace it? Since I dont think I have the time to fix this tonight, would it be a good idea to flush the coolant system, take out the radiator and clean it of any accumulated crud, perform a TB bypass, install a new thermostat, and refill with new coolant? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lesson of the day - Don't chase kitty that doesn't belong to you in the first place. Sigh... :sad:
Old 07-19-2002, 07:45 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Re: Got in an accident, massive coolant leak. Help! (stormy652)

Soory to hear about the two misfortunes you had. I once ran under the rear of a truck in my first car while looking at a nice pair of legs. Dang girl was wearing a bikini while holding up one of those free car was sighns.

Anyway, not sure about that hose as your car has a different cooling system than mine but you should go ahead and pull out the rad. and clean it and fix any bent fins while you are in there, put new hoses on, new thermostat, and do the bypass all at one time. If there is one thing I have learned is that if one hose goes out the rest are sure to follow soon, do it all at once and save yourself from some more heart ache.
Old 07-20-2002, 12:36 AM
ZELLSLIFE
Racer

Sorry to hear bout the accident but if it makes you feel better I saw an ex-girlfriend of mine so i went to make a left turn to go talk to her and got T-boned by a motorcycle doing 80+ while third laning a car. Instant donut and head injury Totaled my car good thing I was driving a rustang then. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 07-20-2002, 12:39 AM
GlockLT4
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lesson of the day - Don't chase kitty that doesn't belong to you in the first place. Sigh... :sad:
ya don't know if it's available or not until you try though! Oh, wait, are you married ? :jester

[Modified by Glock'94, 10:40 PM 7/19/2002]
Old 07-20-2002, 03:28 AM
myblack864+3
Instructor

Did the same thing to my 86 one time. Eyeballed a few young ladies on a steep grade and then tried to impress them by doing a 0-60 in 3 sec uphill run. Silly me... Anyway, the engine got hot, about 240 degrees, which equals 15 lbs. pressure. I drove to my real gf's and parked in front of her house. As the engine will cause the water temp to increase slightly without the fans running, about 1 minute later all he** broke loose. Turned out the drain petcock that had popped out of the lower tank and eveything in the cooling system followed. Like coolent diarreha

Dealer told me he sells hundreds of these in the summer as they are very cheesy, they just pop into a hole in the lower tank. Cost: about $8.00 at Chev, $3.00 at AutoZone. Keep a spare in your parts kit if you live in a hot area like SoCal. :smash:
Old 07-21-2002, 01:59 AM
The Example
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Got in an accident, massive coolant leak. Help! (myblack864+3)

ya don't know if it's available or not until you try though! Oh, wait, are you married ?
:lol: No, I am 17 and a senior in High School. I know that its not available, I've chased after this particular girl for some time now and we have yet to hook up. Women... :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To Got in an accident, massive coolant leak. Help!

Quick Reply: Got in an accident, massive coolant leak. Help!