C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

88 C4 - CLUSTER BULB replacement question and whats behind the hazard switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 PM
foreveraudio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 C4 - CLUSTER BULB replacement question and whats behind the hazard switch

ok I have the bezel off I see the instrument cluster and the silver circles that hide the bulbs, I have one bulb dead - is there a way to pop those out without removing the whole cluster from the dash on my 88 c4

also behind the hazard switch on the steering colume there are 3 screw holds in the shape of a triangle on the front of the dash does someone have a picture they can show me of what goes there, I cannot find or figure out what originally went there .

thanks all
Old 05-02-2014, 01:48 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The silver reflectors pop out. Stick something sharp in one of the holes and pull it out.

There are various ways to get the bulbs out. Some people use a piece of rubber hose, but that can be problematical if the hose diameter is too large. I have wrapped masking tape around the bulb and pulled it out. I have heard of using long-nosed pliers, but I would be afraid of breaking the glass. There are also specialty bulb pulling tools if you don't mind spending some money for something you will rarely use.

These are halogen bulbs, so be careful about getting skin oil on the glass. It causes localized hot spots and can make the bulb shatter. You can clean them with alcohol.

------------------

There is a small plastic piece that goes there to protect the dash from getting dinged up when your keys bounce around while driving. It doesn't seem to work very well because the area around that piece is marked up on my car.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:26 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Order a Xenon light kit from one of the Forum Vendors. The bulbs run cooler that keeps your Cluster cooler.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Rod Schneider
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Make sure you don't twist the bulbs as you are trying to remove them! If you do, the bulb socket tends to unlock and fall out of the backside of the circuit board, which means pulling the cluster.......ask me how I know........

Get notified of new replies

To 88 C4 - CLUSTER BULB replacement question and whats behind the hazard switch

Quick Reply: 88 C4 - CLUSTER BULB replacement question and whats behind the hazard switch