C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Let's build a single plane efi intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:13 AM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
The Hurricane is a great intake for the $$$.

I ran one on the 427 SBC in my 84 and went 9.30's@148mph with it unported OTB.

It is tall compared to most other intakes. 5.8" to the carb flange. That will be tough to fit under a stock C4 Corvette hood... On my 84 which is carburated... a QFT Q-950 carb came dead even with the bottom of the hood... I cut a hole in the hood and used the hood as the bottom of an air pan for a small forward facing hood scoop I had on the car until I cut it all out and installed the big cowl induction scoop it has now.

The Super Victor 2925 I have converted to EFI on my 92 is only 5.50" to the carb flange.

The taller intake is going to limit how tall and how good of a radius you can put on your elbow/TB adpater.... Ideally you would want it to be as tall and as gentel as possible....

My elbow/TB adpater on the 92 worked out to be only 3.5" tall to fit under the stock hood. I was lucky in that I had someone help me with my stuff that had already done it. I was able to take what he had done and tweek it to what I have on the car today.

A 90* elbow for the TB adapter works fine.

You do not need or want a divider in the elbow of a Normally Aspriated engine. The dividers are to help air distribution on Forced Induction engines with tight radius elbows.

The engine in my 92 was designed to be a 7000 RPM deal but it makes good power everywhere. The engine has an awesome TQ band from 3500 to 6000RPM.... dead flat 400RWTQ... it still has over 300RWTQ at 2500RPM so it's not like it's hurting for power down low.

3350LBS daily driver with working AC and all creature comforts. Other than a good clutch and rear gear the rest of the car is just an ordinary 92 Corvette. It's been 128mph in the 1/4 mile normally aspriated on 93 octane pump gas.

The right single plane intake is a great package.

BTW I recently convinced a C4 Corvette road racer on this board to buy a Holley 300-25and install it on his car.... His engine carburated but limited to 5800RPM max because of the stock crank, rods and hyper pistons.... 38RWHP and 40RWTQ across the board gains. It didn't loose any TQ anywhere and most people would tell you that putting a serious racing single plane intake like the 300-25 would have killed his engine...

Will
I may have misread that, but you said in your 92 you got the elbow and carb style intake to fit under the stock hood? Are you using the super Vic like you were talking about or were you using another intake? I plan on boosting eventually but for now I am looking into more heads/cam/intake for my LT motor in my 86. I was just planning on being cool like mark Carlyle and cutting my hood for the elbow and tubing if I had to ha.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:54 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

The TPI is out and here is a bench comparison of the TPI v Single plane with elbow,
its about 1/2" taller at its tallest point,

The single plane fitted on the engine (sitting on the old gaskets)
The hood shuts, but is touching the top of the elbow, I didnt really take much notice of the "bump" under the centreline of the hood, but it is just touching, intake is out to get 4mm machined off the top, nearly got it right !!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow86vette
I may have misread that, but you said in your 92 you got the elbow and carb style intake to fit under the stock hood? Are you using the super Vic like you were talking about or were you using another intake? I plan on boosting eventually but for now I am looking into more heads/cam/intake for my LT motor in my 86. I was just planning on being cool like mark Carlyle and cutting my hood for the elbow and tubing if I had to ha.
Yes the Edelbrock 2925 Super Victor and sheetmetal elbow fit under the stock hood of my 92 no probem.

As you can see, blackozvet is building a very similar elbow to mine... because his intake is taller his elbow has to have a bunch more arch down in the front. The hood clearance problem is mostly in the TB area and not over the carb flange.

This is mine. You can see the elbow is straight mostly and we just put the TB flange at about a 10* angle.

Will
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Yes the Edelbrock 2925 Super Victor and sheetmetal elbow fit under the stock hood of my 92 no probem.

As you can see, blackozvet is building a very similar elbow to mine... because his intake is taller his elbow has to have a bunch more arch down in the front. The hood clearance problem is mostly in the TB area and not over the carb flange.

This is mine. You can see the elbow is straight mostly and we just put the TB flange at about a 10* angle.

Will
Sweet I appreciate the picture of your intake setup. You wouldn't mind posting or pm me the dimensions of the elbow would you?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:40 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

some more progression, had the top of the manifold cut 4mm to give the needed hood clearance (that bump in the underside of the hood caused some time and trouble !)
I also had to grind the rear of the manifold to clear the oil pressure fitting,

I have made the throttle bracket plate, using 10mm thick alloy and chamfering it to 5mm at the front to get the correct angle, and had it welded on.

below is the intake passing the playdough check (plenty at the front, the rear only just squeezing in)

next step is the remote thermostat housing, I have had to grind the top casting of the water pump down to get the moroso housing to sit down in that location and get the right angle for the -10 lines to get thru on each side, its taken some time trying all sorts of different angles and routes to get it right (going thru the air con bracket for the right side), its surprising how much space -10 fittings and lines can take up !

Old 09-05-2014, 05:30 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

I have finished the remote thermostat housing setup, everything has to be millimeter perfect, with the elbow and TB in place the 90 degree fittings can only be in one position (to clear the IAC housing) and the hoses run thru in a certain way to get a natural bend in them,
there has been lots of grinding and filing (and swearing) going on in that engine bay !

Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by blackozvet
....there has been lots of grinding and filing (and swearing) going on in that engine bay !
Then it will be perfect!
Old 09-06-2014, 03:14 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just asking. Why not bolt the TB Directly on the manifold plenum like a carb or use a base plate from a 850 holly. Just the 4 throttle plates in a small welded aluminum box or just a carb with the end bowls and metering plates removed and sealed. Maybe stupid, was just wondering
Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Looking Good ! ......... ..........
Old 09-06-2014, 02:15 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
..... Looking Good ! ......... ..........
I agree!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:18 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cudamax
Just asking. Why not bolt the TB Directly on the manifold plenum like a carb or use a base plate from a 850 holly. Just the 4 throttle plates in a small welded aluminum box or just a carb with the end bowls and metering plates removed and sealed. Maybe stupid, was just wondering
my main aim was to retain the stock throttle body setup, thereby retaining the stock TPS, IAC, and throttle linkage/s.
i also have to use MAF, so wanted to keep that, the wiring loom and cold air intake I have made.

buying the throttle body is worth about $350 to $500 depending on what you get.
then you have to change wiring clips for certain wiring connectors, such as TPS, IAC,
throttle cables or ends may need to be changed, (mine has 3 cables)
then you have to fabricate some sort of intake tubing or housing etc to accommodate the intake at the top of the TB, if you have a look at the setup page 4 that 85corv3tt3 made, its a neat setup but he has needed to put a hood scoop on to fit it all in.

My alloy elbow cost me $270 to make, and it fits under the hood.
another thing to keep in mind is the fabricated elbow creates a plenum, and plenum volume is something you need to create power and driveability.

plus i liked the look of a polished alloy intake
Old 09-07-2014, 11:55 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Thanx for explaining that and yours is nice. Real nice. Real well thought out.
Have you ever thought about applying a yamaha racing manifold style to a sbc? Its a race inspired dual stage intake. Thats tubular.
The SHO accomplished this partially with a dual stage intake that also moonlighted as a piece of artwork. It utilized long skinny intake runners for low RPM and then over 4000 RPM short fat runners would open up and offer their assistance in the form of additional airflow.

So for a V-8 it would have 8 short tubes and 8 long tubes. For the best of both worlds
Old 09-07-2014, 12:57 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Thanx for explaining that and yours is nice. Real nice. Real well thought out.
Have you ever thought about applying a yamaha racing manifold style to a sbc? Its a race inspired dual stage intake. Thats tubular.
The SHO accomplished this partially with a dual stage intake that also moonlighted as a piece of artwork. It utilized long skinny intake runners for low RPM and then over 4000 RPM short fat runners would open up and offer their assistance in the form of additional airflow.

So for a V-8 it would have 8 short tubes and 8 long tubes. For the best of both worlds
.......... Ever look at a ZR-1 ? ................
Old 09-07-2014, 01:17 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Sure Have and those look a lot harder to try and mock up. Don't you think
Old 09-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by C409
.......... Ever look at a ZR-1 ? ................
ZR-1 all runners are the same length.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:23 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

This is good reading
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=360340
Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Then it will be perfect!
the GF came into the shed the other day and said, what are you doing ?, I said , making a water feature, she said, oh i love water features !

Get notified of new replies

To Let's build a single plane efi intake

Old 09-07-2014, 11:20 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

fuel system is in, I have come up from the fuel filter fittings on the chassis, up the back of the firewall, and after some experimenting have fitted the AFPR on the right side and run the fuel lines behind the trans dipstick, this allows me to key on the pump (RHD car) and see the fuel gauge at the same time.
I can also still get the rocker cover off without undoing anything. it uses an underslung crossover line between the fuel rails.

I have got fuel pressure and no leaks (touch wood !)

Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Good Job man That look Sweet
Old 09-09-2014, 07:23 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Good Job man That look Sweet
thanks man, there's some hours in this project !

Quick Reply: Let's build a single plane efi intake