C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Manual Tranny Stuck in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Winston Noel
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Manual Tranny Stuck in reverse

Ok people, I just purchased my first Corvette ever and I already have a problem lol. I drove it around roughly 15-20 miles the day I got it and everything worked great. The only thing was when I took it out of reverse I had to "bump" the shifter right to get it to come out of reverse. I went to work for three days to come back and I started it up and it wouldn't come out of reverse. I removed the driver side seat, and the center console and I can see that the reverse rod linkage is not moving back and forth no matter what I do. When I put it into another gear it wants to stall and burn the clutch ofcourse because the reverse is still engaged and it's trying to go into a forward gear. Then when I put it into neutral it wants to reverse like normal so the reverse rod is for sure stuck. I was about to find out what the deal is and it started pouring rain. Does anybody know if part of my actual shift linkage could be broke or what?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:24 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Reverse gear is contained in the OD unit. You may want to get the car up in the air and see if you can move the shift rod back and forth. You will probably need somebody to be in the car so they can depress the clutch pedal.

Does the reverse lockout ring move up and down? If that's stuck in place, it may be keeping the shifter from moving in and out of reverse. Worst case is that something is broken in the OD unit.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Winston Noel
6th Gear

I can move the reverse lockout finger grip up and down on the shifter but I can't tell if it's doing anything at all, no matter what I do it seems like I cannot get it into the reverse slot and only the other two rods will move back and forth, don't know if the reverse lockout is working or not, it was working before the problem but I can't tell if it's working now ofcourse. How would I tell if it's working or not? And why can I not get it to go into the reverse side slot on the shifter? Could the reverse lockout be causing this? Meaning something is wrong with the reverse lockout and when I went from reverse to neutral it stayed in reverse and won't let me put it back into reverse to change the gear?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Winston Noel
I can move the reverse lockout but I can't tell if it's doing anything at all, no matter what I do it seems like I cannot get it into the reverse slot and only the other two rods will move back and forth,
Get underneath , disconnect the reverse linkage at the trans and move the selector out of reverse position

At least then you will have forward motion
Old 05-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Winston Noel
6th Gear

Ok I took the seat out, the middle console & side panel, got a wrench and pried the reverse rod out of the reverse position..... And now everything works fine..... And why is this???
Old 05-12-2014, 09:02 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Did you get under the car to try to move the reverse lever on the OD unit? If that lever won't move, the chances are that something is wrong with Reverse in the OD unit.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Winston Noel
6th Gear

All I did was push the reverse rod back to where it's in the out position and everything is working like it was, nothing is stuck, everything is working fine, except going from reverse to forward is about the same, i have to push on it a little or bump it to get it to go into neutral.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Manual Tranny Stuck in reverse

Quick Reply: 1985 Manual Tranny Stuck in reverse