C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Courtesy lights and hatch problem.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:13 PM
MFord1993
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Courtesy lights and hatch problem.

Hello, new to the forum and just bought me first vette. Its a 1984, high miles (180k), but with minor issues, I think I stole it for $2500. I even drove it home 20 miles without a hitch.

Anyways, I have this weird problem, and I'm wondering if anyone else could shed some light on the situation.

The other day I turned the courtesy lights on, none came on, but my hatch popped, and continued to pop. The center button does work, but the doors buttons do not. Well I came home today, sat in the car, turned the courtesy lights on, they came on, no hatch pop. Hit the button in the console (courtesy lights still on), and it popped, and continued to pop until I turned it off. If im not in the car, and I turn the courtesy lights on with the drivers door open, it automatically pops. The door ajar light only comes on with the drivers door.

From what I've been researching, I'm leaning towards the dimmer module. Any thought would be much appreciated. Or if anyone has a wiring diagram. Either would be awesome!

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:17 PM
MFord1993
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Courtesy lights do not come on when the doors are open btw.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:41 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The courtesy light delay module is not used by the hatch release system in '84s.

The hatch switches works differently depending on whether you have a manual trans or an auto trans. If you have a manual trans the parking brake must be on (the BRAKE light on the DIC must be lit). If you have an auto trans the shifter must be in Park or Neutral.

There is also a hatch relay that actually applies the power to the hatch solenoid, so that's one more part to look at.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 05-24-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Courtesy lights and hatch problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Courtesy lights and hatch problem.