C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone using an Optima Yellow top in their C4???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 05:36 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone using an Optima Yellow top in their C4???

Wanting to buy a yellow top for my 85, but according to the optima site, they don't have a battery for the application. If anyone is using one, can they please give me the part/model # of the battery and if they had to modify anything to make it fit. Thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 07:04 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ralph
Wanting to buy a yellow top for my 85, but according to the optima site, they don't have a battery for the application. If anyone is using one, can they please give me the part/model # of the battery and if they had to modify anything to make it fit. Thanks
Hi i have a yellow top optima in my 85, it fits the battery tray will let you know what the model number is when i get home.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:36 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi
My Optima battery is a D34/78, below is a link to one on ebay that has the sizes in the description.

Several on this forum are using the optima batteries, most go for the red top for the best cranking power. You can cut the top terminals off if you are going to use the side terminals if you have anything that may short them. The yellow top deep cycle battery is the pick for a high accessory load corvette.
They can be totally discharged many times and bounce back, that will kill most standard battery's. Just one deep discharge can ruin a standard battery and it will never hold a good charge again.
The yellow top optima battery laughs at deep cycles.

Note the optima can be charged with a normal battery charger, unless it is below 10.5 volts. Most common battery chargers will not charge a battery below 10.5 volts. That is where some give these battery's a bad name they think they are dead and throw away a perfectly good battery, all you need to do is use another battery parallel and it will revive the optima.
Otherwise buy a battery charger that is suited to optima battery's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fresh-Optima-Yellow-Top-Battery-D34-78-Universal-8014-045-SC34DU-Warranty-/251126715890?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a785195f2
Old 05-27-2014, 08:00 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Thanks for responding. Did you have to make any modifications to the car or the battery? I was thinking the 9042-218 Group 75/25 would be a tight fit, but you were able to get the bigger battery in there.

Anyone else using this battery?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:03 AM
MITCH
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ralph
Thanks for responding. Did you have to make any modifications to the car or the battery? I was thinking the 9042-218 Group 75/25 would be a tight fit, but you were able to get the bigger battery in there.

Anyone else using this battery?
Hey Ralph!!! Hows it going???
Mitch
Old 05-27-2014, 08:21 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Hey Mitch......long time no talk. Based on your signature, it seems like you are collecting corvettes. I see you still have the 87, and obviously i still have the 85. I've been going thru Sears batteries like every 10-12 months. Figured it was time to try something else.

I'm heading out to the Island today to pick up an ML350 today. Wish me luck.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:19 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Found the 8014-045 at a local Advance Auto. Fit like a glove as described. Think I'm good to go.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Ran a yellow in mine for a while.
Have a Red now.
Yellow I gave to my dad for his vandura.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:31 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

I hope to have better luck with this Optima. I've gone thru about 5 or 6 Diehards in the last 4-5 years. I last upgraded to their Platinum series about 2 years ago. The first one lasted less than a year. The second one suddenly went totally dead. I bought the charger specifically designed for the Platinum series batteries and burnt it out and cooked the battery on the first attempt at charging it. It must have developed a shorted cell. Returned both and got the Optima.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using an Optima Yellow top in their C4???

Quick Reply: Anyone using an Optima Yellow top in their C4???