C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF6 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:35 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default ZF6 Transmission

Team, have a problem. During my engine rebuild, my mechanic suggested we go with a stock replacement clutch and we resurfaced my single mass flywheel. The clutches from Carolina weren't holding up have gone through 2 in 10 thousand miles. Where I used to have the fork in a blender sound during idle now idle is quite and I get a ton of rattle under acceleration. none during cruise. Is the problem likely the clutch or something else. The flywheel has been surfaced and it almost sounds like the flywheel is rattling.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it sound like rocks in a can? If so, that's normal for a ZF with a SMF. ZFDoc can do a shim kit to eliminate that sound, but usually it's only heard at idle.

What clutch did you end up going with? I doubt it's a new clutch or fresh flywheel.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Going through clutches that quick isnt normal obviously. The rocks in can is only on idle in neutral. As soon as you push on the clutch it should disappear because of the pressure stabalizing the flywheel. Chatter is not too odd when starting slowly in first gear but just on acceleration? That isnt good. Id be more inclined to believe your flywheel is out of balance or the surface has been cut too deep so the pressure plate cant be as effective. If it were me id get fed up and order a 600tq clutch and flywheel (steel for added stability) from spec or something. Thats what I use and I track the crap out of the car.

Make sure you are propperly breaking in a clutch. Its so easy to be tempted to test it out without propper break in and the glaze the surface of the disk, then it will slip all the time and just magnify the problem eventually burning it out. Took me almost 1000 miles to break mine in finally before it started really grabbing. Now it is really nice.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
Does it sound like rocks in a can? If so, that's normal for a ZF with a SMF. ZFDoc can do a shim kit to eliminate that sound, but usually it's only heard at idle.

What clutch did you end up going with? I doubt it's a new clutch or fresh flywheel.
New clutch resurfaced flywheel.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Going through clutches that quick isnt normal obviously. The rocks in can is only on idle in neutral. As soon as you push on the clutch it should disappear because of the pressure stabalizing the flywheel. Chatter is not too odd when starting slowly in first gear but just on acceleration? That isnt good. Id be more inclined to believe your flywheel is out of balance or the surface has been cut too deep so the pressure plate cant be as effective. If it were me id get fed up and order a 600tq clutch and flywheel (steel for added stability) from spec or something. Thats what I use and I track the crap out of the car.

Make sure you are propperly breaking in a clutch. Its so easy to be tempted to test it out without propper break in and the glaze the surface of the disk, then it will slip all the time and just magnify the problem eventually burning it out. Took me almost 1000 miles to break mine in finally before it started really grabbing. Now it is really nice.
The flywheel is a steel spec unit. It's been surfaced twice so may be on the worn side. I autocross the car, and haven't had much luck since the stock unit was replaced at 110K. It is very weird. I used to have the noise at idle which was ok, now on this install I have no noise at idle, but rattles like crazy under accel, fairly often, nothing at cruise.

Get notified of new replies

To ZF6 Transmission

Quick Reply: ZF6 Transmission