C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flywheel balancing ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Flywheel balancing ?'s

I have a McLeod twin disk setup for my ZF6. I sent the flywheel in with my crank to be balanced. (many years ago) Now that I am getting ready to install it, I was checking to see if I still have all the parts together. There was a big counter weight attached to the engine side of the flywheel. I have it and it isn't installed on the flywheel. My 383 is using an aftermarket crank and should be internally balanced. Was that weight for an externally balanced engine, or did my machinist remove it because he balanced it all? Any ideas?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:31 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
I have a McLeod twin disk setup for my ZF6. I sent the flywheel in with my crank to be balanced. (many years ago) Now that I am getting ready to install it, I was checking to see if I still have all the parts together. There was a big counter weight attached to the engine side of the flywheel. I have it and it isn't installed on the flywheel. My 383 is using an aftermarket crank and should be internally balanced. Was that weight for an externally balanced engine, or did my machinist remove it because he balanced it all? Any ideas?
One would assume the weight came with the flywheel which was for what is a normally externally balanced application, it's not bolted to it so if the builder had it when you supplied it and it were needed he would have/should have left it bolted to the flywheel. The weight and the bolts figure into the offset. Does it need confirmed? If you know the builder and it was local he may actually have the balance sheet on file.

The "should be" comment you made is the suspect part. Did you ask for an internally balanced build?

Did you buy the 1345 series hydraulic release? Would you mind a snapshot or two of the attachment to the front guide tube retainer if you did do the 1345 series.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-18-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Well, it was many years ago. Life through a few curve ***** since then and that is why this project has been going so long. I can only assume as to what happened at this point. I would not have asked for an externally balanced engine. I guess I was just looking for a little reassurance.

1345 series? LOL, I don't think it was even an option when I bought the twin. Mine came with a different slave cylinder, that's all. I have a traditional pressure plate. Sorry.

What are the advantages to the hydraulic T.O. bearing?
Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Take your current FW w/the new one to a machine shop. Have them confirm that they're the same balance.

I would go down the road w/WVZR-1 first...but iff you can't be certain about what you've got and what's been done, try my suggestion. I'd be pissed if I had to pull my FW again due to engine shake.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

All the "old" stuff is gone Tom. This block and reciprocating assembly is all new or different. The 383 crank is made for internal balance. I think I still have the balance sheet but I don't remember it saying much other than the bobweights.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:21 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

If it's indeed "neutral" now I would think you could be correct in assuming that it's the way it was balanced BUT there's the who knows! Was the plate bolted to it when you gave it to the shop? If you know for sure yes then more reason to assume it was removed to accommodate the internal balance.

The 1345 series changes the clutch to a push VS. pull style clutch assembly.

Get notified of new replies

To Flywheel balancing ?'s

Quick Reply: Flywheel balancing ?'s