C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power steering cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:25 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Power steering cooler

I am prepping a newly acquired 1993 for track duty. It is equipped with the Z07 performance package, which I understand includes a power steering cooler. Being a new owner, I have no idea how the cooler is installed or how it's hose(s) is (are) routed.

I have read recommendations that the power steering hose should be upgraded to braided stainless steel, much like the more common brake hose upgrade.

Should I perform this upgrade? And if so, due to the PS cooler, do I need only one, or two hoses?

Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

A cooler is really needed for road course events, if your car doesn't have one they are easy to add in. I haven't had problems with the hoses. I did switch to Redline PS fluid. Here are a few pictures of adding a cooler:

Old 06-20-2014, 01:09 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

My 95 has to cool mounted on the cross member right behind the radiator. Yours might be in the same place. It is on the low pressure side of things, so I would not think you need to upgrade to SS lines.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:10 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

The inlet side of the cooler has a clamped hose @ the cooler but on the other end there's a Saginaw o-ring fitting on a 90° that if you wanted to do braided you would have to have constructed. The outlet end is just clamped. You'll have no trouble ID the cooler. Braided I don't believe required but if you're going to the effort "to prepare" then I guess you could consider braided being "prepared"!

When you prep the car and flush all of the PS etc you'll have the opportunity to have everything in your hands. If you wanted to do the braided it would be little effort. With proper planning you could have the cooler ends power-crimped and be done.

Here's an image of the PS cooler. Pay no attention to the sellers description this is PS and NOT oil but then fluid to one person could be oil to the next BUT NOT me. The view where you see the o-ring and seal is standing under the car looking forward.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORVETTE-C4-FACTORY-OIL-COOLER-OEM-USED-PART-LT1-LT4-1992-1996-002-/121033510009?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2e28cc79&vxp=mtr

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-22-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering cooler

Quick Reply: Power steering cooler