C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Please help with HEATER HOSE routing -96 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 02:49 PM
sissond
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Please help with HEATER HOSE routing -96 LT1

I'm replacing all of the hoses today on my '96 LT1 and so far everything has been good and all replacement parts match old parts. But now I've come to the hose that goes from the heater core to the water pump. The hose that's there does not look original or correct. And it does not attach to a heater valve (used strictly for pressure restriction to core, no T fitting to vacuum).

It's not entirely clear to me how the new hose I have is routed and where the heater valve goes. I'm now not even 100% sure the old hoses attached to the correct things (but probably was due to fact that heat worked fine).

Please explain if the routing of the hoses was correct. The way it was, the upper water pump connection went to the surge tank. The lower (just under opti) went to the lower heater core connection.

Where should the valve be going and in which direction? There's a long hose with multiple bends and short 90-degree hose (that says it may need to be cut to fit).

I think the long hose goes to the bottom (under opti) water pump connection,
- is routed to the heater valve with flow arrow toward the heater core,
- then the short 90-degree hose goes to the heater core.

Please help, I'd love to finish this off today so my wife can take the vette to work tomorrow.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 06-23-2014, 05:11 PM
sissond
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '15

Let me simplify my question:

1. Top water pump heater hose to surge tank?

2. Lower water pump heater hose to lower heater-core?

3. Heater valve inline with water pump/heater core hose?

4. Heater valve flow arrow pointing toward heater core?

Thanks, at this point I think I've figured it all out but I'm waiting to fill with coolant until I can verify that I've got it right.

BTW, I found a nice surprise under the surge tank. One of the previous owners, that must have replaced the hose that should have the heater valve inline with it, came up short with the generic hose that was used. About 4 inches from the heater core the hose was joined with another short length of hose using....wait for it...a 1/2" copper water pipe. I'm sure that pretty much accomplishes the same thing as that heater valve.

Thank in advance,
Doug
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Bottom pipe from water pump connects to hose that contains the restrictor valve with
arrow/flow towards the heater pipe. The lower heater core pipe is the inlet of heater core. Shown as item 1 in the diagram.

Top pipe of heater core (outlet) connects to a u shaped pipe that goes to surge tank.
Shown as item 7 in the diagram.

I'm guessing that item 5 hose goes back to the top pipe of the water pump.

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 06-23-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM
sissond
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
Bottom pipe from water pump connects to hose that contains the restrictor valve with
arrow/flow towards the heater pipe. The lower heater core pipe is the inlet of heater core. Shown as item 1 in the diagram.

Top pipe of heater core (outlet) connects to a u shaped pipe that goes to surge tank.
Shown as item 7 in the diagram.

I'm guessing that item 5 hose goes back to the top pipe of the water pump.

Excellent! Thank you! That's how I have it. Now to fill and bleed the system. Fingers crossed.

-Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Please help with HEATER HOSE routing -96 LT1

Quick Reply: Please help with HEATER HOSE routing -96 LT1