C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Kagnus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default EGR removal?

On a L98 89' is it possible to remove all the BS EGR crap and run it like a modern vehicle with dual cats etc... and still pass emissions?

If a stock L98 motor won't pass what changes need to be made in order for this to work? I mean I could drop in an LS motor and run dual cats and not have to worry about anything. I'm curious as to why an L98 is dirtier than an LS generation motor.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:11 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

A well tuned TPI will usually pass without EGR or even cats. That said, the EGR only helps you. Removing it only makes it more prone to detonation.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi i have my EGR disconnected, i have removed the check EGR from the chip so i do not get EGR codes.
The 85 can ping quite a bit even with the EGR operational, i have had my 85 for 16 years and the EGR was connected for half the time.

The compression ratio is too low to have problems with pinging
/detonation in a standard engine. The ecm will retard the ignition if knocks are detected, when some poor quality fuel is used and the ecm will adapt.

With my supercharged intercooled setup i do not run the EGR the PCV is blocked also. I DO NOT have detonation problems running 8 psi boost so you will be fine. When i removed the engine after six years of being supercharged with egr removed for a new 383 engine, the old 350 pistons /rings and ring landings were in great shape.
Note they are TRW Forged pistons standard in the 85 corvettes.

Forget about the doomsayers it may have changed the emissions a bit but the engine will not harm the 350 engine.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:03 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

On a L98 89' is it possible to remove all the BS EGR crap and run it like a modern vehicle with dual cats etc... and still pass emissions?
EGR only comes into play after some steady speed driving with coolant temp >175 deg F.
I think the dual hi-flow cats is great as it allows true duals like used with the LT1 engine.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:21 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jv9999
A well tuned TPI will usually pass without EGR or even cats. That said, the EGR only helps you. Removing it only makes it more prone to detonation.
The egr helps does not take aything away from engine as far as power. I would let it be.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:37 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I bought the removal kit from Corvettemods1 and installed it last year. I left the egr valve in place along with the line to my new high flow cat in case the next owner wants to use it in the future. I removed the air pump and the diverter valve along with their brackets. I also removed and blocked of the exhaust pipe from the header to the intake manifold.
Wow - really cleans up the engine compartment and gives you a lot of extra room.
No smog inspection in my state.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:23 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

When I installed my 383 motor 3 years ago, I removed all emissions equiptment from the engine..To make sure I didn't get ping/knocking I installed a Dewitt's radiator, high speed fan, 180 degree stat, and had the on/off on my fan changed to 196 degrees on/ 180 degrees off in the chip. Having a running temperture of around 180 degrees took care of any problems I could of had from the motor running at a higher temperture....The higher running tempertures of our stock cars was what caused the excessive ping/knock counts when the egr was removed..When you lower the engine temperture back to what it was in the old days when they had a carburetor, the problem goes away...WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-28-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:35 AM
MrWillys
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi i have my EGR disconnected, i have removed the check EGR from the chip so i do not get EGR codes.
The 85 can ping quite a bit even with the EGR operational, i have had my 85 for 16 years and the EGR was connected for half the time.

The compression ratio is too low to have problems with pinging
/detonation in a standard engine. The ecm will retard the ignition if knocks are detected, when some poor quality fuel is used and the ecm will adapt.

With my supercharged intercooled setup i do not run the EGR the PCV is blocked also. I DO NOT have detonation problems running 8 psi boost so you will be fine. When i removed the engine after six years of being supercharged with egr removed for a new 383 engine, the old 350 pistons /rings and ring landings were in great shape.
Note they are TRW Forged pistons standard in the 85 corvettes.

Forget about the doomsayers it may have changed the emissions a bit but the engine will not harm the 350 engine.
Turning off the switch is really not enough. I reset the manifold air temp from -17.5C to 150C in the constants so it's not called for, and expects to see a result. I also zero out EGR duty cycle tables as an added precaution. At this point it is then removed and does not factor in its values.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR removal?

Quick Reply: EGR removal?