C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'92 coupe, starting problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 PM
h-d_blondie
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 coupe, starting problems, need help

I bought a 1992 Black Rose Metallic coupe this past February with 123K miles. I love the car, but it may get to the point I will sell it if I can't get the starting problem fixed. I have been out in it three times, away from home, when it would not start when I needed it to do so. This can be a scary situation if it happens in a not so great part of town.
It seems like it has battery power, but there is no sign of the starter turning over or trying to turn over. If the car sits for about an hour, it will then start.

It seems like the Starter Circuit is locked out when this happens.
Could it be caused by the 'theft deterrent system' or VATS system issue?

Do you think Eckler's Security Override System (SOS) part would be beneficial?

Last edited by h-d_blondie; 06-29-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:35 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I,ve experience pretty much all the usual problems with my 92..I would go for a new starter..and yes they are a bitch to replace so that job i farmed out..so far I've dumped about 10 to 12 K in mine to get it where I want..if you want to just drive it for a while with no worries..I would replace the stater, battery if its old, fuel filter, and just get a basic tuneup..or..you could do all that yourself if you want..all the help needed can be found here..i replaced the whole ignition system ..murderous job but I did it right and for half the cost..and half the skin off my hands..but it grew back...
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Sounds like the starter. There's some stuff around here about troubleshooting if its the VATS (something with the security light not going out or going out, can't remember).

The starter is pretty easy, and relatively inexpensive. Literally 2 bolts hold it on when you're under the car. One bolt is kinda a pain to get to because of an exhaust heat shield, but the other is cake.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:36 PM
h-d_blondie
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Sounds like the starter.

The starter is pretty easy, and relatively inexpensive. Literally 2 bolts hold it on when you're under the car. One bolt is kinda a pain to get to because of an exhaust heat shield, but the other is cake.
My friend said he could pull the starter out for me and bring it up to a parts store to have it bench tested, but he thinks if that is really the problem, it may only test bad if the starter is hot after driving the car. Because this starting issue only happens once in a while, after driving the car a bit.

Do you think a bench test would detach a problem with a starter, that has issues that appear only after driving the car a while?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:11 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well..putting in a new starter even if it isnt the problem isn't a bad idea..its out so might as well put in a new one..and yes when they start to go they get sensitive to heating up..check to see if the heat shield is in place as well..that would boil it for sure if it wasn't

Get notified of new replies

To '92 coupe, starting problems, need help

Quick Reply: '92 coupe, starting problems, need help