C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

how does water pump relieve pressure on startup if heater core is gone.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:39 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default how does water pump relieve pressure on startup if heater core is gone.

About to install oil cooler and the adapter goes where the filter is which is connected to the "stock oil cooler" (which is entirely useless). If I take out the stock water-oil cooler, I already eliminated the heater core, and cap off the heater core output on the water pump and plug the inlet to the intake manifold how does the water pump eliminate pressure? The thermostat will be closed and pump will be spinning pushing on it. I know ive seen plenty of hot rods that only have the two radiator hoses, how do they do it?

Or is it really not that much pressure? Or should I run a line from the pump to the secondary inlet on the manifold? Can I just plug these things and be done with it?
Old 06-29-2014, 04:34 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

What year car? There is a bypass in the block for most sbc, no clue on LT. The bypass is the hole just under the lower water pump bolt on the pass side. I always plug this bypass in the block or pump if the pump even has it(a motor plate will block it right off) and use a rear line out of the intake to over the T-stat or into the suction of the pump. Good thing tpi vettes have the line out of the rear intake already.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

You can't over pressurize a centrifical pump. they build up some pressure and then cavitate.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its 1989. Word of the day, cavitate. That makes a lot of sense and interesting. I assumed it was a turbine of some sort not a centrifugal system. Im plugging those babies off today and getting rid of all the stupid extra lines just waiting to fail.

Get notified of new replies

To how does water pump relieve pressure on startup if heater core is gone.

Quick Reply: how does water pump relieve pressure on startup if heater core is gone.