C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dimmer Lever location, rear side at T/S Lever

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 01:57 PM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Dimmer Lever location, rear side at T/S Lever

On my girlfriend's '92 coupe I am putting together the steering column at the Turn Signal Lever location, and I am trying to figure out where the Dimmer Lever goes in that area to be operated by the L/S Lever. I can see where it goes into the white plastic switch, under the dash, on the front side. At this point, it looks like the dimmer lever is too far from the T/S lever, even after I close up the gap on the top column cover to the column.
I would expect to find a little pocket on the T/S pivot switch that the dimmer lever would fit into, but don't see anything like that.
Thank you for the help.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:58 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I can't do you any snapshots but it should be pretty straight forward if the rod, the switch and everything is secured. Do you have the pivot/wiper switch installed and is all of that operational?

Here's an older link, I read it through and having done it a time or two I followed the way this was explained. I would think you'll catch on.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-actuator.html
Old 07-06-2014, 03:13 PM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

I found a helpful video showing the placement of the 'Actuator, Dimmer SW Rod'.

It looks like I am missing the following parts that I hope to get from a GM dealer this week.
- Rack, Switch Actuator
- Spring, Rack Preload
- Pin, Pivot
I saw this on Figure 1 - Tilt Steering Column, page 3F5B-2 of the '92 FSM.

Last edited by corvette1987coupe; 07-06-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:24 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by corvette1987coupe
I found a helpful video showing the placement of the 'Actuator, Dimmer SW Rod'.

how to rebuild a tilt steering column video #7 - YouTube

It looks like I am missing the following parts that I hope to get from a GM dealer this week.
- Rack, Switch Actuator
- Spring, Rack Preload
- Pin, Pivot
I saw this on Figure 1 - Tilt Steering Column, page 3F5B-2 of the '92 FSM.
The rack and the spring you would have had to have lost or the car would NOT have cranked before you took it apart. The pivot pin if it's for the tilt housing is going to be part of a "kit" that will have parts you don't need. Do you think you need the pivot pin just because of a worn column that's maybe got a little "wobble"?

The rack and the spring will be no trouble.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:28 PM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

These are good photos that was provided to me from a guy on the facebook C4 Corvette Forum.
The top photo shows the 'Rack, Switch Actuator' and "Pin, Pivot' that I don't find in my parts.

Last edited by corvette1987coupe; 07-06-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

These are good photos that was provided to me from a guy on the facebook C4 Corvette Forum.
The top photo shows the 'Rack, Switch Actuator' and "Pin, Pivot' that I don't find in my parts.
Those images are from a tutorial done on a Fiero column which is similar BUT different is some aspects of assembly. Familiarizing yourself with the entire tutorial might help you.

Here's the entire tutorial:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

If this car cranked and ran before you started these parts should certainly have been there.

There are some snapshots here that should look very familiar to what you saw on disassembly. I don't know how far you went into the column but I wouldn't have thought you needed to remove the ignition rack that you mention is missing.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...teering-wheel/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-06-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:14 PM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

Today the parts department at the Chevrolet dealership said the '92 had two different Steering Column part numbers for that year, 26024008 & 26030970.
The parts needed depend on the S/C part number in the car.

So far I have not been able to locate a part number on the Steering Column.

Any ideas where the Steering Column part number is located?

Thank you for the help.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:55 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Today the parts department at the Chevrolet dealership said the '92 had two different Steering Column part numbers for that year, 26024008 & 26030970.
The parts needed depend on the S/C part number in the car.

So far I have not been able to locate a part number on the Steering Column.

Any ideas where the Steering Column part number is located?

Thank you for the help.
If there's a label on it, it will be on the top-side near the ignition switch. I have an 0970 with a label on it. You would either need to drop it or maybe you could see it with a mirror. Just a couple notes:

7827157 is the rack, 7804908 is the spring for the rack and the pin like I mentioned, for a new one you will need to buy a kit. The kit for the earlier column is discontinued I believe and the only kit that is available is for the 0970. It's an expensive kit to buy for only needing a pin that I can't image isn't there.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:04 AM
corvette1987coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

7827157 is the rack, 7804908 is the spring for the rack and the pin like I mentioned, for a new one you will need to buy a kit. The kit for the earlier column is discontinued I believe and the only kit that is available is for the 0970. It's an expensive kit to buy for only needing a pin that I can't image isn't there.
Yes, those are the numbers the parts guy gave me today. I have the column dropped down a bit already while I was working on it. I did look with a mirror for a number when I got home from work, but did not see one. The build date on the door is 04/92, so I image it is the later column. I can tell the column had been taken apart in the past, as some of the fasteners are not factory. Only one of the 3 #30 torx screws holding the top cover was a torx, and the other 2 were Phillips, etc. So I think the last person who had it apart did not put those parts back. I know the pivot pin is missing, and before I buy the kit that has it, I am going to try and find one in a salvage yard. It looks like it would be on a lot of GM tilt column cars of the early to mid 90's. I think the reason it finally stopped working correctly is because those parts were not in there, and the dimmer rod came off the dimmer actuator. The dimmer/pivot switch that I pulled out does not seem in any worst condition than the new one I put in.

Last edited by corvette1987coupe; 07-08-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I would expect to find a little pocket on the T/S pivot switch that the dimmer lever would fit into, but don't see anything like that.
Thank you for the help.
The pivot on the multifunction switch presses down on a plastic piece I believe is called the actuator. The rod from the dimmer switch lays against the steering column along with the actuator.. Nothing really holds the two together. They both lay against the column. The steering cover shroud keeps them against the column.

Here's a thread with some pictures and another thread that describes the multifunction switch and the pivot mechanism which operates the dimmer rod. In this thread the pivot point was broken which is not your problem but the thread has some good pictures .

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-actuator.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...h-replace.html

Get notified of new replies

To Dimmer Lever location, rear side at T/S Lever

Quick Reply: Dimmer Lever location, rear side at T/S Lever