C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Saggy old headliner on the targa top?

Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Saggy old headliner on the targa top?

I repaired the sagging headliner on my '93 targa top and made a video about it. I was able to use the original fabric, though there are oem style replacement fabrics available for around $40 if your headliner fabric is damaged. I used velcro to attach the pad in place for easy removal/repair in the future. Spray Headliner adhesive cost around $12, velcro around $7. Total cost under $20. It looks and works fantastic and much less expensive than paying $150 for an aftermarket headliner replacement.

Let me know what you guys think. Take it easy - Ozz

The youtube video link:

Last edited by Ozzstar; 07-14-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice production. I have to do the same thing to my LT4. I thought it was velcro from the factory but it was glued in and the cardboard just came apart when peeling it out. any ideas of what you would use for a backker board if the original one it shot. Thanks and good job. I do have to say that I like the extra headroom without. I am 6'3. I was thinking about doing something to the inside of the top just to make it look good and not even replacing the headliner. any thoughts on that?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Elrick
Nice production. I have to do the same thing to my LT4. I thought it was velcro from the factory but it was glued in and the cardboard just came apart when peeling it out. any ideas of what you would use for a backker board if the original one it shot. Thanks and good job. I do have to say that I like the extra headroom without. I am 6'3. I was thinking about doing something to the inside of the top just to make it look good and not even replacing the headliner. any thoughts on that?
Thanks for the comments Elrick. Yes, you could eliminate the headliner if you are prepared to use adhesive remover and spend time getting the underneath of the targa clean as a whistle. I prefer the sound dampening and softness of the pad and material. You will gain about 5/8" maximum by not using the headliner and pad. Also, bumping your head will hurt that much more w/o something there to absorb the impact and an increase in noise level. Have fun and thanks for watching!

Ozz
Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 PM
dchildress
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a local shop redo mine for $40. He had it for less than 2 hours.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:18 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

any ideas of what you would use for a backker board if the original one it shot.
When I recovered the visors in my prior '88 I got a large sheet of cardboard from a local hobby shop from which I cut the visor backing pieces.

If you need to "form" it a bit you can spray with a little water, form to desired shape and let dry to the new shape.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
JMelton
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great and informative video Ozzstar, thank you for taking the time to do it.

This is something that I need to do on my 96 LT1.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by JMelton
Great and informative video Ozzstar, thank you for taking the time to do it.

This is something that I need to do on my 96 LT1.
Your welcome, glad the video will be helpful to you JM. Now you can get it done! Take care - Ozz

Get notified of new replies

To Saggy old headliner on the targa top?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saggy old headliner on the targa top?