C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wiper Switch on Door..What years and??

Old 07-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Wiper Switch on Door..What years and??

Im wondering if 1990 and later cars had the wiper switch on the door panel or if it was moved to the column.

Also,anyone know why GM even installed them on the door panels of early C4's?84-89 that is.

Seems like a rather odd location for it and I never thought about this until now.

Would you also have rather had it in the column switch like most GM cars?

Could it also have been the tilt and telescoping wheel left little room for the wiring needed for a switch on the column?
I mean,wiper combined with the blinker and CC switch.
Just curious as to what some of you think.
:)
Old 07-25-2002, 02:28 PM
The Rex
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Switch on Door..What years and?? (Bill's86Coupe)

90 has it on the column. As to why the General does a lot of things the way they have done :crazy:
Old 07-25-2002, 02:29 PM
88BigGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it on the door of my 88. Make for a good conversation piece, messed up the wife for a while.

What messed me up the most was the window up/down switch on the consol. I still look for it on the door when I am in my vette and then on my Bronco, I look on the console :crazy:

Old 07-25-2002, 04:18 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Wiper Switch on Door..What years and?? (88BigGuy)

I think this was GM's try at a sense of humor. I have the same problem with my windows going from Vette to Ranger or back.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,424 Likes on 773 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: Wiper Switch on Door..What years and?? (aj1988)

I found it convenient in the door. The problem with the column mounts are bumping the switch when you turn the car off. I've done this in the C5 a few times and in my friends BMW almost every time.

I was already used to the console mounted window switches from my 82. It's always amusing to watch the passenger groping for the window switch and while they're not looking lowering or raising the window. It's always the same "deer in the headlights" look.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:06 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Also,anyone know why GM even installed them on the door panels of early C4's?84-89 that is.
I think it was placed for function. You can EASILY while racing in the rain slap the switch for a single wipe and return back to the steering wheel. Not so each with the "twist" type switch on a turnsignal stalk.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:28 AM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Wiper Switch on Door..What years and?? (scorp508)

Thanks for the replies everyone...seems maybe the first c4's years was intended to be alot like a slot car or something,then GM realized they needed a larger market so made the interior changes and ride level comfort to suit more people in later years?Or did too many owners complain about this and that hence the changes over time...oh well,just useless wondering.

I dont mind the switch where it is...like everyone else,switching cars can make me confused for a split second where things are at.

Old 07-26-2002, 12:30 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

It was probably cheaper for GM to combine it on the stalk. No wires to run to the door, no extra switch, etc...
Old 07-26-2002, 01:39 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's location is far better than the center console above the AC vents like on my '70! To turn the wipers on I need to physically lean and stretch the shoulder belts to reach the wipers. Plus there's no intermittent in the early sharks, so you need to reach under the dash and pull the wiper door override switch first to get the door to stay open so that you can momentarily tap the wiper switch for manual intermittent wipers. :jester Otherwise you need to turn them on, wait for the door to open via vacuum before turning the switch back off or the wiper door will just clunk closed before the wipers ever wiped. :eek: There. That oughta make you feel better about their choice Bill. :D It could have been worse. :smash:

I think it's a process of continual improvement - even if sometimes two steps forward, one back. :crazy:
Old 07-26-2002, 01:50 PM
vettmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiper Switch on Door..What years and?? (Juliet)

They had the switch there (on the door) on old Caddys too.........THAT was a joy to repair!!.........what I would like to have back though is the dimmer switch on the floor.................
now ya wanna see something REALLY weird look at the cruise switch on a Hundie (sp) Tiburon .........my fiance has one .......it's on the other side of the column from ours :bs

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Switch on Door..What years and??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiper Switch on Door..What years and??