C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Stephenms
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering Rack

Hey there everyone I have a simple question i'm hoping someone would answer!

I'm trying to purchase a new rack and pinion.

I can get a good deal at Advance Auto from Cardone and they have two options. Both Reman, one is base and one is for the Z52 package.

The Z52 package is about 10 dollars cheaper and I have been dpoing research about the package and it seems like it would be an upgrade for my vehicle.

I have a base 1987 corvette with base suspension and obviously base rack. My question is, will a Z52 package rack and pinion interfier with my alignment and tire wear or anything like that? I do currently have the 17 inch "blade" wheels on there, 275/40ZR17.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenms
Hey there everyone I have a simple question i'm hoping someone would answer!

I can get a good deal at Advance Auto from Cardone and they have two options. Both Reman, one is base and one is for the Z52 package.

The Z52 package is about 10 dollars cheaper and I have been dpoing research about the package and it seems like it would be an upgrade for my vehicle.

I have a base 1987 corvette with base suspension and obviously base rack. My question is, will a Z52 package rack and pinion interfier with my alignment and tire wear or anything like that? I do currently have the 17 inch "blade" wheels on there, 275/40ZR17.
So long as both are for an '87 you would be fine. You need to check the one you buy before you tear your car apart for total length "tip to tip" of the inner tie rod end to confirm that it's actually for an '87 or earlier. You need to hang on to your core until you're satisfied that the one you bought and replaced doesn't leak and has no problems. I would want to drive it for maybe a week or two before surrendering the core.

When the replacement rack comes you can confirm if it's a 2 turn rack or not easily right on the bench.

An early rack should measure something near 48" total tip to tip with no outer tie rods attached, the later something 50" + a fraction. I've got one that measures 50" and someone posted a long while back when I asked and his was 50 5/8 but the various later inner rods could account for that difference.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-23-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephenms
There are no new ones left to purchase.

The only way to get a replacement is to either swap out a rebuilt one or have yours rebuilt.

I have a rebuilt rack in my car and it has had problems. Shoddy rebuilding process in my opinion. I was suspicious as soon as I took it out of the box because the whole thing was painted black. I have polyurethane bushings for my rack and swapped them to the rebuilt rack. The rebuilt rack bushings were REALLY dirty (hidden by the black paint). For the record, I got this rack through Mid America Motorworks and it was rebuilt by Lonestar Caliper Company.

If I had to do it again I would go with these guys:

http://www.turnone-steering.com/

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 07-23-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM
ramvet89
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would NOT buy that from Advance Auto - two years ago I got one from Advance and it was junk - contact Zip Products and they will set you up with a quality reman that is correct for your car for around $200
Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
jsinga
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you search around some you can find the codes cast into the rack and tell what ratio it is just by looking at it. The code on my Z52 87 is WT. it 2 turns lock to lock
You may find even though the rack is listed in the catalog the store will find they can't get one since there are no cores. It happened last year when my PS pump started leaking. With it I nosed around long enough to find a video on rebuilding a pump and with the manual fixed it for under $5 in parts. All it needed was some o-rings replaced.
I seem to recall someone on the C5 pages rebuilt a rack without much trouble. They got an entire seal kit for @ $50 from RockAuto.
Unless you know the history of your car it might already have been rebuilt in the past. Only good would be when Cardone rebuilds a rack they bore and sleeve it. That's good since the aluminum gets scored and eats seals causing leaks and morning sickness. If you remember, morning sickness was a major issue on late 80's GM racks.
If you get a rebuilt rack make sure they have replace both inner tierods. I have seen them come with only one new tierod.

JS
Old 07-25-2014, 03:30 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just purchased and installed a re-built rack from ZIP and it was rebuilt by Lonestar Caliper Company. It fit correctly and works almost as new just a little stiffer than the origional but I too installed Poly bushings and not the OEM.

I changes the upper and lower ball joints and the rack comes with new tie rod ends. yuo also need to to an allignment.

when all this is completed you cay will go as straight as an arrow.
I installed KYB shocks at tha same time also.

good luck ZIP was great to deal with and shipped the same day as ordered

John
Old 11-26-2021, 01:21 PM
CF8888
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default replace standard rack to sport rack

Hello everyone! I need some help please. I have a 87 c4 standard rack and pinion - stamped CA. I ordered a rebuilt and what just arrived is a WT sport rack. Does anyone know if i can simply install the sport rack and all is good? Or is this a NO Go?

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Rack

Quick Reply: Steering Rack