Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
frankinvett84
CF Senior Member

Default A/C RE- install

My engine is just about done at the builder, one of the last things I need to get squared away is the A/C. I removed the system except the condenser when I removed engine. the A/C did not work when I removed the engine and system, so now when I re-install what should I do? as far as I know it has not been changed to R-134?(the new one). Is there any way to check it out or put back together without engine being in ? or should I wait until I get new engine installed? Thanks for any help .
frankinvett84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinvett84 View Post
My engine is just about done at the builder, one of the last things I need to get squared away is the A/C. I removed the system except the condenser when I removed engine. the A/C did not work when I removed the engine and system, so now when I re-install what should I do? as far as I know it has not been changed to R-134?(the new one). Is there any way to check it out or put back together without engine being in ? or should I wait until I get new engine installed? Thanks for any help .
If you're going to 're-new' the system on the install including the evaporator you need to decide 'NOW' what you want to do. The evaporator is a much more pleasant task with the engine out of the car. Have you purchased anything at all?

What is the engine that is getting installed?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
frankinvett84
CF Senior Member

the engine going in is a carbed (for now) SBC .I would like to put the system back in as it is (I believe it just had a leak). I was just looking for some way to minimize the guess work and not waist cans of Freon when putting back together
frankinvett84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinvett84 View Post
the engine going in is a carbed (for now) SBC .I would like to put the system back in as it is (I believe it just had a leak). I was just looking for some way to minimize the guess work and not waist cans of Freon when putting back together
You should be able to flush and check the evaporator and the condenser for leaks easily before you install the engine. I'd be inclined if I had all of the original parts to do the system again with R12. You need to determine what the leak was though.

The people that "hoarded" the stuff years ago have decided that maybe it wasn't such a great idea after all, it's out there and can be purchased pretty reasonably.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page A/C RE- install