C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C RE- install

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:36 PM
frankinvett84
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A/C RE- install

My engine is just about done at the builder, one of the last things I need to get squared away is the A/C. I removed the system except the condenser when I removed engine. the A/C did not work when I removed the engine and system, so now when I re-install what should I do? as far as I know it has not been changed to R-134?(the new one). Is there any way to check it out or put back together without engine being in ? or should I wait until I get new engine installed? Thanks for any help .
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by frankinvett84
My engine is just about done at the builder, one of the last things I need to get squared away is the A/C. I removed the system except the condenser when I removed engine. the A/C did not work when I removed the engine and system, so now when I re-install what should I do? as far as I know it has not been changed to R-134?(the new one). Is there any way to check it out or put back together without engine being in ? or should I wait until I get new engine installed? Thanks for any help .
If you're going to 're-new' the system on the install including the evaporator you need to decide 'NOW' what you want to do. The evaporator is a much more pleasant task with the engine out of the car. Have you purchased anything at all?

What is the engine that is getting installed?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 PM
frankinvett84
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the engine going in is a carbed (for now) SBC .I would like to put the system back in as it is (I believe it just had a leak). I was just looking for some way to minimize the guess work and not waist cans of Freon when putting back together
Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by frankinvett84
the engine going in is a carbed (for now) SBC .I would like to put the system back in as it is (I believe it just had a leak). I was just looking for some way to minimize the guess work and not waist cans of Freon when putting back together
You should be able to flush and check the evaporator and the condenser for leaks easily before you install the engine. I'd be inclined if I had all of the original parts to do the system again with R12. You need to determine what the leak was though.

The people that "hoarded" the stuff years ago have decided that maybe it wasn't such a great idea after all, it's out there and can be purchased pretty reasonably.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C RE- install

Quick Reply: A/C RE- install