C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Another fan switch question (I'm going crazy!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 01:57 PM
ConeKLR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Another fan switch question (TA)

:cool:
MY switch also worked great. It was worth the effort.
:cheers:
Old 03-30-2015, 06:33 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default similar situation

I have a similar situation with a boken off fan switch in the drivers head. Broke off when i was doing my hooker header install. I went today and matched up a 3/8-18 thread npt tap to my new jet fan swich. And the adapter that came with it was 1/2-14 thread npt. I found this confusing since the 1987 c4 bolts so far have been metric. I am seriously thinking about drilling it out for a 1/2-14 npt and threading in the adapter.. then the 3/8 jet fan switch will thread into it. Then if it ever needed changeing two wrenchs would be used. does anyone know what size drill bit is used for a 1/2 tap. I thought about heli coreing the hole to make it stronger.. any thoughts appreciated
Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

might want to start another thread....this ones 13 years old....
Old 03-30-2015, 08:43 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by gman35
I have a similar situation with a boken off fan switch in the drivers head. Broke off when i was doing my hooker header install. I went today and matched up a 3/8-18 thread npt tap to my new jet fan swich. And the adapter that came with it was 1/2-14 thread npt. I found this confusing since the 1987 c4 bolts so far have been metric. I am seriously thinking about drilling it out for a 1/2-14 npt and threading in the adapter.. then the 3/8 jet fan switch will thread into it. Then if it ever needed changeing two wrenchs would be used. does anyone know what size drill bit is used for a 1/2 tap. I thought about heli coreing the hole to make it stronger.. any thoughts appreciated
Yes a new thread might be in order BUT the cylinder head is 3/8 - 18 NPT presently and the majority of the engine assembly is likely still the "old standard" fasteners. You want to be sure before you start "tampering" with some of these things. When you get the broken switch removed your new is going to likely match. You shouldn't have issues.

What year car and which engine do you actually have?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-30-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Thanks

Hey, thanks for the reply... I did not realixe this thread was so old when it popped up at the bottom of my page "sorry". My c4 is a 1987 and the motor is a L98 and as I previously posted in my thread about this, I was doing a header install. I am really hoping the passenger side goes in without removing that switch in the rear of the head. It is tight and my first attempt on that side was a no go. Thanks for the reply and the info I appreciate it. Gary
Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Yes a new thread might be in order BUT the cylinder head is 3/8 - 18 NPT presently and the majority of the engine assembly is likely still the "old standard" fasteners. You want to be sure before you start "tampering" with some of these things. When you get the broken switch removed your new is going to likely match. You shouldn't have issues.

What year car and which engine do you actually have?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by gman35
Hey, thanks for the reply... I did not realixe this thread was so old when it popped up at the bottom of my page "sorry". My c4 is a 1987 and the motor is a L98 and as I previously posted in my thread about this, I was doing a header install. I am really hoping the passenger side goes in without removing that switch in the rear of the head. It is tight and my first attempt on that side was a no go. Thanks for the reply and the info I appreciate it. Gary
The engine is assembled as are most accessories attached with fasteners that aren't metric. Just the "old standard threaded" hardware. There are some Metric exceptions.

Quick Reply: Another fan switch question (I'm going crazy!)