C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Torque for trans pan bolts.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Radio Joe
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Torque for trans pan bolts.......

Yes another post about my transmission..... :lol:

I only have a chiltons manual for my vette and it forgot to mention the torque for the trans pan bolts. I have been torquing to 10lbs, and my leak keeps returning... Another member mentioned torquing his to 15 lbs and snapping a bolt. Anyone knoe the correct torque please....For an 89 700r4
Old 07-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Radio Joe
Pro

Default Re: Torque for trans pan bolts....... (Radio Joe)

Nevermind...It got answered in another post... 12 ft/lbs

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2002, 10:16 AM
vettmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DON'T USE A CLICK TYPE TORQUE WRENCH!!!!!!!! use a beam or a dial :seeya
Old 07-26-2002, 11:55 AM
Radio Joe
Pro

Default Re: Torque for trans pan bolts....... (vettmech)

Why does the click type make a difference??? that is all I have

:confused:

Also someone else mentioned that their manual says 19 Ft/lbs.... maybe it is different for each year....does anyone know the correct torque for an 89? I would like to do this tonigth and hopefully finally fix my leak.

[Modified by Radio Joe, 10:57 AM 7/26/2002]
Old 07-26-2002, 01:02 PM
vettmech
Drifting

When you are torquing to these low torques the click type isn't very acurate. I use mine for lug nuts and head bolts and stuff but at low torque specs I have seen them not even CLICK sometimes........... the beam type is very reliable and they are cheap at Sears.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:07 PM
jcazin
Instructor

A decent quality click wrench will be fine at 12 ft/lbs- or else get a smaller wrench that measures in in/lbs if you do a lot of fine work- beam wrenches are worth what you pay for them, tho they were state of the art in 1934.
Old 07-26-2002, 07:26 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When you are torquing to these low torques the click type isn't very acurate. I use mine for lug nuts and head bolts and stuff but at low torque specs I have seen them not even CLICK sometimes........... the beam type is very reliable and they are cheap at Sears.
I agree.

Click wrenches make me nervous when used at either end of their scale; their minimum or maximum ranges.

It's fairly easy to strip the threads in the trans pan mounting flange by over torquing the pan bolts, not to mention distorting the pan gasket in the process.

If this does happen, you can retap the holes with a slightly larger tap and use the corresponding larger bolt, although is may call for enlarging the hole in the pan slightly for the larger bolt to pass through.

Another way is to change the thread type (pitch) using a different tap. With torque this low, changing thread pitch can allow a different bolt of the same diameter to be used.

Another way, if you're lucky, is to use the same diameter or a slightly smaller diameter bolt which is long enough to pass all the way through the trans and extends out a few threads on the top side. Then install a nut and flat washer on the top side of the trans. I said "lucky" because not all the holes will allow a nut and washer to be installed because of interference where the bolt passes through.

Over time, I've used all these methods with success.

Good luck.

Jake

[Modified by JAKE, 5:40 PM 7/26/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Torque for trans pan bolts.......

Quick Reply: Torque for trans pan bolts.......