C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

alternator

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:34 AM
dustyjoe57
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator

Would anyone out there have video or detailed pics on replacing alternator on 89 C4?
Anything is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.... Joe
Old 07-31-2014, 11:05 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take ground off battery. remove belt, remove electrical connectors from alt. remove the 2 bolts holding alt on, remove alt. as simple as it can get
Old 07-31-2014, 12:13 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by hooked073
take ground off battery. remove belt, remove electrical connectors from alt. remove the 2 bolts holding alt on, remove alt. as simple as it can get
There's also a bolt in the brace at the back of the alternator...You would have probably seen this bolt on your own, but I just like messing with my buddy "hooked073" above............WW
Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

(also) I'm thinking you have to move the PS reservoir to completely remove one of the alternator mounting bolts. can't remember - it's been 5 or 6 years....
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM
dustyjoe57
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WW7
There's also a bolt in the brace at the back of the alternator...You would have probably seen this bolt on your own, but I just like messing with my buddy "hooked073" above............WW
Thanks for the info.... Don't mind being messed with..... Should've stated in my original thread that my main concern was with the tension pulley. I've heard different "stories" as what problems may arise.... Or if it's worthwhile replacing that as well?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:37 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
(also) I'm thinking you have to move the PS reservoir to completely remove one of the alternator mounting bolts.
Not, that I remember...
Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by dustyjoe57
Thanks for the info.... Don't mind being messed with..... Should've stated in my original thread that my main concern was with the tension pulley. I've heard different "stories" as what problems may arise.... Or if it's worthwhile replacing that as well?
I wouldn't mess with the tensioner pulley if it's working correctly.. When your belt starts falling off, or your accessories don't work because of lack of tension, then that's when you start worrying about the Tensioner....... "If it ain't broke , don't fix it".....WW

Here's instructions for removing and replacing the alternator on the 89

1989–91 VEHICLES
1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2.Detach the regulator connector and battery lead from the back of the alternator.
3.Remove the serpentine drive belt, using a 1 ⁄ 2 in. breaker bar to rotate the tensioner.
4.Remove the alternator mounting bolts, then remove the alternator from the vehicle. If installing a new alternator, transfer the brackets to the new alternator.

To install:

5.Position the alternator in the vehicle. Install the lower mounting bolt finger-tight.
6.Install the upper alternator mounting bolt and tighten finger-tight.
7.Position the alternator brace onto the rear of the alternator, then install the brace bolt finger-tight.
8.Tighten the alternator bolts as follows:
A.Lower mounting bolt: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
B.Upper mounting bolt: 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
C.Brace bolt: 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
9.Install the serpentine drive belt.
10.Attach the regulator connector and battery lead to the back of the alternator.
11.Connect the negative battery cable.

Last edited by WW7; 08-01-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:48 PM
Rourk
6th Gear

Default Tensioner

I tried to rotate the Tensioner bolt on my 1989 C4 to the loosen belt position but it appears to be frozen in place. There is not enough room to use a socket breaker bar. So I put a closed end wrench on the bolt with another wrench hooked to give me more leverage. The old rule lefty loosey , righty tighty does it apply. All the videos show the tension bolt being pulled to the right? Of course most of the videos pass over the tension bolt as to simple to actually cover on an 89... I spray some WD 40 on the bolt to try again tomorrow but If anyone has done an 89 having any inputs it would be much appreciated... Thanks Rourk

Last edited by Rourk; 09-23-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:52 AM
braeburn22
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You don't rotate the tensioner bolt to release the tension on the serpentine belt, there is a square hole on the tensioner arm that you insert a breaker bar into then pull it towards you, when you are standing on the drivers side on the engine compartment, this will release the tension and you can release the belt, also have you considered the alternator upgrade from the cs130 to the cs144, did it to my 89 using an alternator from a 97 Lt1 camaro , best thing I have done to the car, no more voltage issues, hole job took 30 mins.
The following 2 users liked this post by braeburn22:
Benny42 (09-28-2020), Rourk (09-25-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 01:20 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

That is good advice to upgrade the alternator while you are at it! Just be careful not to exceed the current rating of the wires feeding the power from the alternator to the battery. I removed the 40 amp alternator from my C3 and replaced it with 120 amp unit and everything works better since the battery is charged. Using electric fans and an aftermarket EFI system along with a big amplifier for the stereo the 40 amps was not cutting it. My new alternator makes over 30 amps at idle and the components in the car are happy and the battery stays fully charged.

If ANY bolt gives more than reasonable resistance I would stop and heat up the base of the bolt and squirt some KROIL Penetrating oil on it and then heat it up again and once more oil it. Getting the area hot is important to get the oil to be pulled in to the joint.

Removing the serpentine belt is easy as long as you use a long enough handle to get the leverage you will need. They make special tools to do it if you want spend a few bucks. I just use a 1/2" ratchet with a 6" extension to reach into the tensioner.

Looks like WW7 has done you a great favor by giving you the "step by step" procedure. That is a great start to doing this job. Follow those instructions and you should be just fine.
The following users liked this post:
Rourk (09-25-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 11:58 AM
Rourk
6th Gear

Thank You for the quick response! You have ended my frustration with the You tube videos. The only video on the 89 skipped over the Tensioner release as to simple to cover. Yet other year Vettes have a different approach to releasing tension on the serpentine belt. Thanks Again!!
Old 09-29-2020, 12:58 PM
Rourk
6th Gear

I got it done but the typical breaker bar will not fit on my 89 Vette... I went to Autozone finding a Serpentine Tool I could borrow. Good Business decision to allow customers to borrow tools for free. The Serpentine Tool is FLAT in design and has flexibility to bend a bit. The Square socket male is attached to the Flat Serpentine Tool allowing the many other tension release attachments to ease tension on the Belt for different bolts etc. and allowing it into a very tight space...

Last edited by Rourk; 09-29-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:23 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Good Job there Rourk!

See you did it yourself after all. Saved a few bucks doing that your self! With the proper manuals, tools and an OBD1 Scanner you can pretty much fix anything on these Corvettes. You are off to a good start!

The tensioner tool is a smart tool to loan out as few folks have regular need for one. I used to use a 1/2" extension attached to a 1/2" ratchet but then One day I almost dented my car so I went and bought the proper tool which has sat in my tool box for years.
I put a serpentine belt system on my C3 with it's 427 and the belt is easy to remove as it has no tensioner, on the other hand I have to adjust it every few months or listen to it. I wish it had a tensioner that would work on my big block....
The following users liked this post:
Rourk (09-29-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To alternator

Quick Reply: alternator