C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

strange noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 05:18 PM
2000lsvette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noise?

Hey there just curious about a strange thumping noise that I can hear and yet feel it in my floor, strange thing about it it only last a couple miles after I take off then it goes away, anyone ever had this problem before? Its on my 90 vette, I've checked the exhaust and the drive line but can find anything. Also I got alot of heat radiating up through the console any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be anything Check everything again
Old 07-27-2014, 09:36 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000lsvette
Hey there just curious about a strange thumping noise that I can hear and yet feel it in my floor, strange thing about it it only last a couple miles after I take off then it goes away, anyone ever had this problem before? Its on my 90 vette, I've checked the exhaust and the drive line but can find anything. Also I got alot of heat radiating up through the console any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Check your shock absorbers make sure bolts are tight, same for sway bars. The callipers can rattle if there are no tension clips on the brake pads to stop them rattling.

Check the beam from transmission to diff is secure and the bolts are tight.

Tires i would jack the car up and rotate each wheel and make sure the tires are round, look for any high spots signs of tread seperation.
Flat tires usually make a thumping sound even at 10 psi you can get a weird sound. Check the tire pressures are good.

Good luck
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM
2000lsvette
6th Gear

I will definitely check all that, I just ordered some callahan drilled and slotted rotors with new pads, and asfar as I can tell the upper ball joints look to be bad they both have the rubber boots torn and leaking grease, it may not have anything to do with whats going on but im going to replace all the joints any way. While im at it ill probably put new tie rods on aswell, I've only had this car a few months and im just guessing that they've probably never been changed.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 PM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A heat shield come loose maybe?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:22 PM
2000lsvette
6th Gear

This lil vette needs help, I looked all over the bottom of this thing and found nothing, nothing loose or
missing?? Got bad ball joints and crappy rotors which got all that new and getting ready to replace all that along with new outer tie rods. Sometimes when im driving the car it doesn't have any power, I can hold the pedal all the way down and it just seems to be bogged then all at once it comes alive. Its got a new fuel pump,filter and what looks to be acell injectors cuz they are yellow? I just bought a new bbk tb for it so im hoping this will help it, whats your guy's thoughts and suggestions on that? Also was wondering if getting rid of the smog pump an egr is a big deal? Have any of you took this off? I know I can get a smog pump deletion pulley but just wondering if it will affect the way the engine behaves.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 PM
2000lsvette
6th Gear

I forgot to mention that it has a tb spacer and an air foil on it aswell. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To strange noise?

Quick Reply: strange noise?