C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Injector wire retaing clip question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Local2Ed
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1985 Injector wire retaing clip question

On my 1985 Corvette I am trying to ohm the injectors but can not figure out how to remove the wire retaining clips.
I read through 10 pages after running a search and none of the pictures that I found look like mine.
Some folks said to push them inward but mine have nowhere to go and they didn't look like the clips that they were talking about.

The ones I have hook around all four sides of the injector and snap under a little protrusion that I think are on 3 sides of the injector.

Someone else said to squeeze the electrical plug at the fore and aft sides as your facing the plug but I don't see how that releases the metal clip.

Two of my plugs were missing the wire clip and one plug had a piece broken off of it but still had the wire clip that I was able to remove and the only way I see to remove them is to try a tiny screwdriver to get behind the wire and release where it wraps around the intake side of the injector to release both legs of the clip.

I must be missing something obvious because these can't be that hard to remove.

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Do they look like this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...385&cc=1041220

If so, you squeeze the wire bail to release them (push inward while wiggling the connector).
Old 08-04-2014, 07:05 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

All I do on mine is just pull and wiggle one the connector. They come off very easily.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 PM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same issue as the OP, I did finally figure it out but can't remember now for the life of me.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Local2Ed
Pro

Originally Posted by jv9999
Do they look like this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...385&cc=1041220

If so, you squeeze the wire bail to release them (push inward while wiggling the connector).
Nope.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Local2Ed
Pro

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
All I do on mine is just pull and wiggle one the connector. They come off very easily.
Nope.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 PM
Local2Ed
Pro

My clip has little to no play or room to get anything but the smallest of screwdrivers ( like the ones for repairing eyeglasses) in between it and the plastic plug.

I tried with the small screwdriver for a few minutes but the engine was too hot to get both hands in their to try to release them.

That's why I thought I must be missing something obvious.

Thanks for the reply's
Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I replaced my 85's injectors a couple of times. From memory, if you push inward on the wire (refer to the Rock Auto Picture) that is shown at the top of the injector, it forces the side wires outward and you can pull outward on the injector clip and they should come off.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Local2Ed
Pro

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1512&ppt=C0024

This is the connector I have.
Is this the type that DanielRicany says will pull off with some wiggling?
I didn't pull on them too hard for fear of breaking something.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Local2Ed
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1512&ppt=C0024

This is the connector I have.
Is this the type that DanielRicany says will pull off with some wiggling?
I didn't pull on them too hard for fear of breaking something.
Thanks
That's the same connector without the release. It should just come off. You can buy replacements with or without the release.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 PM
Local2Ed
Pro

Originally Posted by jv9999
That's the same connector without the release. It should just come off. You can buy replacements with or without the release.
After finding one of the plastic connectors with a corner broken off up to the slot for the wire clip and two other injectors missing the wire retainers all together I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something as it looked like somebody already "just pulled them off"

Thanks for the reply's.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:38 PM
viii
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

same problem I had with my 85 when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets. I figured I must be missing something obvious. Never did figure out what that was. I used a very small L shaped pick to get behind the clip and pull out on the sides... to them out of that groove. careful not to have one spring out and get lost. crazy design. if there is different way, I sure would like to know.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You push the clip toward the injector to release it. I find it's better to do it with a screwdriver since you want to check them when they are hot and don't want to burn your finger.

This web site has a couple of pictures to show you how to do it:

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/i...ors/index.html

The connectors that have the metal clip tight to the body of the connector you can just pull off, as shown by Jon Banner is this video:

Old 08-06-2014, 05:53 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by viii
same problem I had with my 85 when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets. I figured I must be missing something obvious. Never did figure out what that was. I used a very small L shaped pick to get behind the clip and pull out on the sides... to them out of that groove. careful not to have one spring out and get lost. crazy design. if there is different way, I sure would like to know.
This is the method I used. It was a biotch and I cursed the designers of such a stupid fastener.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Local2Ed
Pro

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

This web site has a couple of pictures to show you how to do it:

The connectors that have the metal clip tight to the body of the connector you can just pull off, as shown by Jon Banner is this video:

HOW TO OHM CHECK A FUEL INJECTOR high impedance - YouTube
In the first video I have the connector that it is showing a dental pick and two screwdrivers for removing it from the injector. Unfortunately they are demonstrating it on a bench and not connected to an injector.
MUCH HARDER to do on the injector.

I do not, I repeat DO NOT have the style that you just push the wire in.
As far as popping them off like in the video from John Banner, not happening as I've pulled and wiggled to the point of fearing breaking off the top of the injector and that was on the few I could get a good grip on.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 AM
viii
Racer

not the same type of clip from what's shown in Cliff's info - wish it were that easy.
Originally Posted by Local2Ed
In the first video I have the connector that it is showing a dental pick and two screwdrivers for removing it from the injector. Unfortunately they are demonstrating it on a bench and not connected to an injector.
MUCH HARDER to do on the injector.

I do not, I repeat DO NOT have the style that you just push the wire in.
As far as popping them off like in the video from John Banner, not happening as I've pulled and wiggled to the point of fearing breaking off the top of the injector and that was on the few I could get a good grip on.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 AM
viii
Racer

Slight correction to what I posted above. I do see the clip style about 1/2 through this link from Cliff.

So I am not the DA I thought, the design is really that ridiculous. Good thing I have the $1 set of dental piks from HF tools.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:46 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I needed an injector connector and didn't know which one to order so I ordered several different kinds. I do have one of the ones with the wire that wraps tightly around the connector. I couldn't figure out how to work that one so it's stashed with my other spare connectors and wires.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Local2Ed
Pro

Originally Posted by 84wuzmy1st
I had the same issue as the OP, I did finally figure it out but can't remember now for the life of me.
Originally Posted by HlhnEast
This is the method I used. It was a biotch and I cursed the designers of such a stupid fastener.
Slight correction to what I posted above. I do see the clip style about 1/2 through this link from Cliff.

So I am not the DA I thought, the design is really that ridiculous. Good thing I have the $1 set of dental piks from HF tools.
Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I needed an injector connector and didn't know which one to order so I ordered several different kinds. I do have one of the ones with the wire that wraps tightly around the connector. I couldn't figure out how to work that one so it's stashed with my other spare connectors and wires.
Well if nothing else I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one who hasn't figured it out.
Looks like a cold engine, dental picks and tiny screwdrivers it is.

Thanks for the reply's.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Injector wire retaing clip question

Quick Reply: 1985 Injector wire retaing clip question