C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1992 LT1 Rough Idle, Rough Acceleration, and Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 11:25 AM
corvettetothecore
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 LT1 Rough Idle, Rough Acceleration, and Stalling

I am having some issues with my 92. The engine has been giving me some minor issues for a time now, but they've turned into troubling ones that I need to solve. When I first start the car sometimes it won't turn over on the first try, or I have to hold the ignition for a second or two. The idle is very hitting or miss, sometimes starting strong right around 750 rpm, other times barely chugging at 500 rpm, where it feels like it will die. When it idles low and I put it in reverse, it has died on me once I stop to put it in gear. Some bigger problems arose yesterday when I was driving. When I was around 45 to 50 mph and would slowly accelerate that car would barely increase speed, accompanied with a rattling and clunking sound and dense pedal. Yet I as soon as I punched the pedal the car jumped up in rpm and moved just fine. Also I stopped at a light and it had the same issue accelerating from that, and at a second light the car even stalled out. I am hoping this is a minor issue I can fix myself, my experience with mechanics hasn't been the best, or the cheapest. I appreciate any suggestions anyone can give.

Quick Reply: 1992 LT1 Rough Idle, Rough Acceleration, and Stalling