C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Spark Plug Gap and Missing Electrodes...Can Anyone Explain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 11:05 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Gap and Missing Electrodes...Can Anyone Explain?

What is the correct spark plug gap for a stock '93 LT1?

And would anyone be able to take a guess as to why the electrodes would be missing off of the plugs? (Original plugs with 25,000 miles on them).

Thanks for any insight. :)
Old 07-27-2002, 12:19 PM
needanother1
Racer

Default Re: Spark Plug Gap and Missing Electrodes...Can Anyone Explain? (rubyred93)

Center platinum "pucks" missing or the side electrodes missing? :eek:

'93 LT1 does have factory AC platinum plugs doesn't it? I have heard that those platinum pieces on the center electrode are bad to come off.

Beyond that... Detonation??

Jason
Old 07-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Spark Plug Gap and Missing Electrodes...Can Anyone Explain? (rubyred93)

What is the correct spark plug gap for a stock '93 LT1?

And would anyone be able to take a guess as to why the electrodes would be missing off of the plugs? (Original plugs with 25,000 miles on them).

Thanks for any insight. :)
Yeah, need to know plug type. My bet is the platinum puck has departed the plug for destinations unknown, if you have the AC 41-906 plugs.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:44 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Spark Plug Gap and Missing Electrodes...Can Anyone Explain? (Lone Ranger)

Hi -

I want to be sure that we are talking about the same thing, but I'm not that great with technical part names...but I'll try.

The plugs were the original plugs that the car came with - factory issue. The tiny piece that was missing was located under the metal "arm" that hangs over and forms the gap. Under that arm there is a tiny piece of metal attached (or should be)...on at least 6 out of the 8 plugs that were pulled, that piece was gone, causing the gap to be too great.

I was offered the explanation of detonation at the shop, but I'm not sure. :confused: Other than that, the plugs were in very good shape and showed no signs of anything being wrong with the motor. Just seemed strange.

[Modified by rubyred93, 3:47 PM 7/27/2002]
Old 07-27-2002, 07:14 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a set of A/C plugs here I pulled. 3 out of the 8 are missing the pucks. I'll never use A/C plugs again. I'm running NGK TR 55's now and like them so far.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detonation? It's the missing pucks that are causing the problem. Buy new plugs, and also find a more competent shop.

Hi -

I was offered the explanation of detonation at the shop, but I'm not sure. :confused: Other than that, the plugs were in very good shape and showed no signs of anything being wrong with the motor. Just seemed strange.

[Modified by rubyred93, 3:47 PM 7/27/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Gap and Missing Electrodes...Can Anyone Explain?

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Gap and Missing Electrodes...Can Anyone Explain?