C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Painting valve covers 1991 L98

Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM
FloriVol
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting valve covers 1991 L98

I just had my valve covers bead blasted clean with plastic beads. I have a few questions that I'd like some advice on before I begin painting them.

- The guy who did the cleaning said I should rough up the surface before painting them. Is this really necessary, and if it is, what's the best way to rough up the surface. I'm using a shaker can of Nickel color paint I got especially for this purpose from MidAmerica Corvette.
- The bead blasting left a residue like fine dust on the inside of the valve covers. Anybody have a good way to clean it out of all the crevices on the inside of the vc?
- I have new rubber gaskets to reinstall the vc. Do rubber gaskets need gasket sealer, or just some oil like you would use for an oil filter gasket?
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by FloriVol
I just had my valve covers bead blasted clean with plastic beads. I have a few questions that I'd like some advice on before I begin painting them. - The guy who did the cleaning said I should rough up the surface before painting them. Is this really necessary, and if it is, what's the best way to rough up the surface. I'm using a shaker can of Nickel color paint I got especially for this purpose from MidAmerica Corvette. - The bead blasting left a residue like fine dust on the inside of the valve covers. Anybody have a good way to clean it out of all the crevices on the inside of the vc? - I have new rubber gaskets to reinstall the vc. Do rubber gaskets need gasket sealer, or just some oil like you would use for an oil filter gasket?
What I would do:

Remove the rubber grommets
Makes sure gasket surfaces were clean and free of old gasket material(do the same on heads)
Scuff surface with 600 grit sandpaper
Use parts cleaner to clean up valve covers(you can buy this in aerosol cans)-use with a brush if necessary
Let them dry completely
Follow directions on spray can(is primer recommended? I have never used that brand)
Use light coats and allow plenty of time in between. The last thing you want to do is spray on heavy coats that trap solvents under them.
Gaskets go on DRY. The only reason you put a thin amount of oil on the oil filter is for easier removal. If you put oil on the valve cover gaskets it will likely seep through.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Dave
Old 08-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Ziggy91
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never used "purpose" anything paint for specific parts.

If it's something part of or around the engine... engine enamel.
If it's something around the exhaust or headers... header paint.
If it's something related to electronics or interior parts... trim paint.

Dt86's instructions are spot on. Be light with your coats and be slow/patient. Make sure everything's clean with alcohol or some other wax/grease/oil remover. Valve covers for my new 350 in my 85 came out perfect with some VHT black engine enamel. Durable too... I've already nicked a few spots with various tools or parts and no chips or marks.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:58 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

It would be easier to use a grey scotchbright pad, but otherwise DT is right on.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok heat shield is on but over a yr latter an mine look like they were just done. Clean the dust and stuff anyway you can to get it out. I did a good bit of research on the the nickle paint you bough at a crazy price is the same nickle paint you can get at any hardwear store the wrapper were changed if you dont belive this get the chemical break down off both cans and compair. The factor finish is not smooth it is sort of a pebbley surface to get this effect I bought a spray can of i think stone finish at homedepo does not matter what color because you will be going over it with nickle color spray a cpuple of coats of that then color let dry and install. i never use any sealeant on these covers also do not lube them install to a clean dry surface and you should not have any issues
Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 PM
FloriVol
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like great advice, thanks everyone.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by FloriVol
Sounds like great advice, thanks everyone.
That's what we're here for! Be sure to tell us how you make out.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is a pretty good write-up on how to properly refinish your L98 valve covers.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Painting valve covers 1991 L98

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting valve covers 1991 L98