C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Air Bag Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 08:43 AM
flatbush862
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1990 Air Bag Light

I have gone through all the threads and GM Tech. Bulletin on correcting the Inflatable Restraint light on my 1990. After many iterations ( code 16) of removing the battery and ensuring good ground on the sensor, doing the 3 second on off ground exercise, the light, although out for a short time comes back on. I even tried accessing the right side sensor which is under a AC component. Can't get to it, but as I understand it from the GM Bulletin Code 16 is the left side sensor.

Like many others I've had it.

I am planning on selling the car for a C6.

How difficult is it to pull the bulb lighting the "Inflatable Restraint" display?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I believe it would likely be more responsible to sell it with the "deficiency" noted and leave the light. There are easier ways rather than removing the bulb and the removing the codes is certainly a task for many. Others it's pretty straight forward and a "first time success". Perhaps yours actually needs the sensor. Have you actually checked the resistance of the sensor to confirm it's actually not bad?
Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe it would likely be more responsible to sell it with the "deficiency" noted and leave the light. There are easier ways rather than removing the bulb and the removing the codes is certainly a task for many. Others it's pretty straight forward and a "first time success". Perhaps yours actually needs the sensor. Have you actually checked the resistance of the sensor to confirm it's actually not bad?
- maybe give the code clearing thing a second try. I understand the 3-seconds-3 seconds off thing has a .5 second tolerance. I've read that some people have tried several times before success. BTW, my light is on, and it's on my to-do list. one of these days, when I get of my dead ****....
Old 08-23-2014, 12:25 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by flatbush862
How difficult is it to pull the bulb lighting the "Inflatable Restraint" display?
Not difficult at all...

Remove the stereo trim piece http://www.carstereohelp.com/strcorvetteAd.htm and you'll see all the bulbs. Remove the Inflatable Restraint bulb and reinstall the trim piece.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:30 PM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
- maybe give the code clearing thing a second try. I understand the 3-seconds-3 seconds off thing has a .5 second tolerance. I've read that some people have tried several times before success. BTW, my light is on, and it's on my to-do list. one of these days, when I get of my dead ****....
I have a 1990 also and it was the right side sensor code. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\Did the sand and dielectric grease BUT it took me 1/2 hr to clear the code...the 3 sec on and off 3 times with a +/- .5 sec drove me crazy. Finally made a wire set up with a toggle switch to better get the proper timing. That was 5 years ago and all is still fine. Its all in thye timing...good ol GM smart technology
Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by UNCLEBILL
I have a 1990 also and it was the right side sensor code. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\Did the sand and dielectric grease BUT it took me 1/2 hr to clear the code...the 3 sec on and off 3 times with a +/- .5 sec drove me crazy. Finally made a wire set up with a toggle switch to better get the proper timing. That was 5 years ago and all is still fine. Its all in the timing...good ol GM smart technology
good idea - -- quick question - did you run the ground wire to the seat frame? don't remember the procedure off hand, but as I recall, you go from one pin on the diagnostic port to ground. seem they spec the (drivers) seat frame as the ground point - ???
Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 AM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

good idea - -- quick question - did you run the ground wire to the seat frame? don't remember the procedure off hand, but as I recall, you go from one pin on the diagnostic port to ground. seem they spec the (drivers) seat frame as the ground point - ???
YES... used the seat frame as ground.
Bill
Old 08-25-2014, 05:07 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Suggest checking the air bag sensor wire connector located next to the left kick panel @ the top of the floor carpet. Air bag wire cover & connector are yellow colored. The connector is a slip fit without a locking tab, mine was separated.

Had zero luck grounding to the seat frame, a jumper wire to battery ground with a remote starter button in line did the trick.

Timing: Best results were with a cheap watch with a ticking second hand. Had zero luck with a sweep second hand.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Oh my! Mine is driving me bonkers. The seat belt light is on also. Is it that easy to fix? I will try that first before I take it to the dealer.... Can some one layout the steps for me?
Thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Stellabarbara
Oh my! Mine is driving me bonkers. The seat belt light is on also. Is it that easy to fix? I will try that first before I take it to the dealer.... Can some one layout the steps for me?
Thanks in advance
a couple years ago, another 90 owner was dealer quoted $1400 for that little fix -
Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 PM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

Thanks in advance
Once I found and repaired the sensor and cleared the air bag lite; the seat belt lite went out also. Both lites work together. Hope that helps.

Bill
Old 09-16-2014, 08:46 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Seatbelt and airbag sensors

a couple years ago, another 90 owner was dealer quoted $1400 for that little fix -
I guess I better try this first before I give the dealership that much money. I just need a long weekend, the sun shinning and a cold. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Stellabarbara
Stellabarbara
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Sensor

Originally Posted by UNCLEBILL
Once I found and repaired the sensor and cleared the air bag lite; the seat belt lite went out also. Both lites work together. Hope that helps.

Bill
Hey uncle bill... Do you remember which sensor you repaired... Maybe I can cut some time off of the repair and enjoy a couple old 's
Old 09-17-2014, 11:37 PM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

Hey uncle bill... Do you remember which sensor you repaired... Maybe I can cut some time off of the repair and enjoy a couple old 's
Normally its the passenger side as the A/C drips there and does the damage. A sand of both surfaces and dielectric grease does the fix. Apparently that was GM fix on the 1991...dielectric grease.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Air Bag Light

Quick Reply: 1990 Air Bag Light