C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Reolacing a/c compressor. Have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:44 PM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Reolacing a/c compressor. Have a couple questions

I'm replacing the compressor and accumulator in my 1987. The Haynes manual is telling me to measure the amount of oil I drain from the accumulator and replace it with the same amount plus two ounces. It doesn't mention adding oil to the compressor which I thought I had to do. My questions are:

1. If its a new compressor do I need to add oil to it or will it come with oil?

2. Does it matter what side of the accumulator I add the oil to?

3. Are there any other parts I should change when doing this?

The system has already been upgraded to R134. The a/c is working now but I'm changing the compressor because its becoming really loud and I want to change it before it fails.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

1. You need to add oil to the compressor. Dump the old oil out and add that much plus one ounce. It wouldn't hurt to turn the compressor by hand back and forth to distribute the oil before putting it into the car.

2. The inlet is the best side (the part that comes from the evaporator).

3. If your compressor is spewing junk into the system then your orifice tube might be full of stuff. Replace it.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

For as cheap as an orifice tube is I will change it. One more question. The manual says use 525 weight refrigerant oil. All I can seem to find is pag46, 100 or 150.

What oil should I use? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:54 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A new or rebuilt compressor should come full of oil. So u should not add any. The unit should be tagged and come with a packet to read that will tell you for sure
The orifice tube/filter needs to be changed with new compressor.
Also get up front and clean out the condenser fins really good. Start by pulling the top cover on the radiator and get all the crap out between both of them then use a hose to run water thur the fins
Good luck
Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 PM
PcolaPaul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool95vette
For as cheap as an orifice tube is I will change it. One more question. The manual says use 525 weight refrigerant oil. All I can seem to find is pag46, 100 or 150.

What oil should I use? Thanks.
You need to use "Ester" oil. The 525 is mineral based for R12 and not compatible with 134A.

The compressor might be shipped with oil and might not. I would measure the amount of oil drained from the old compressor and add that amount back to the new one.

Its hard to get the oil out of the old dryer/accumulator to determine the amount because it has a desiccant bag that becomes saturated with the oil. The condenser and evaporator retain an unknown amount of oil also. I usually add 2 ounces to the new accumulator.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:51 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool95vette
The manual says use 525 weight refrigerant oil. All I can seem to find is pag46, 100 or 150.
The 525 weight mineral oil was used with R-12. They still recommend using it on the O-rings, even with R-134a. Kinda impractical, since the smallest bottle I could find is 32 ounces.

Get notified of new replies

To Reolacing a/c compressor. Have a couple questions

Quick Reply: Reolacing a/c compressor. Have a couple questions