C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 Corvette No Power 1/4 throttle any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:10 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 1994 Corvette No Power 1/4 throttle any ideas?

My dad is having an issue with his 1994 Corvette. Apparently, he says there is no throttle response at 1/4 throttle or less almost like a dead spot as it runs fine once you pass a certain threshold. Ran the codes and all is functioning properly as indicated by the C12 code registered.

I was thinking maybe torque converter but tranny guy drove it and said it feels more like fuel or ignition deficiency. He also said with traction control off and in 1st gear holding brake and mashing the gas it will not spin the rear tires.

Going to check the fuel pressure under a load next but wanted to post this thread first in case someone else may have encountered this situation before.

Thanks for your help and insight!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

First thing I would check would be the TPS (throttle position sensor). You can either check it by resistance or voltage. If you check it with voltage, then you will have to measure the output on the wiper which should be the DK Blue (pin C) wire from the TPS. The voltage with the throttle closed should be about 0.6 volts. As the accelerator is pressed (key to ON position), the voltage should increase at a steady even rate with no jumps in the voltage. It should progress smoothly & steady from the 0.6 to 4.5 vdc (wot).

If you check it with resistance, it's best to unplug the connector from the TPS and then make the resistance measurements on the TPS varying the throttle and checking the resistance. Analog meters actually work better for this kind of test.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:26 PM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcolt94
First thing I would check would be the TPS (throttle position sensor). You can either check it by resistance or voltage. If you check it with voltage, then you will have to measure the output on the wiper which should be the DK Blue (pin C) wire from the TPS. The voltage with the throttle closed should be about 0.6 volts. As the accelerator is pressed (key to ON position), the voltage should increase at a steady even rate with no jumps in the voltage. It should progress smoothly & steady from the 0.6 to 4.5 vdc (wot).

If you check it with resistance, it's best to unplug the connector from the TPS and then make the resistance measurements on the TPS varying the throttle and checking the resistance. Analog meters actually work better for this kind of test.

Thanks PColt94, my dad swapped out the TPS sensor and that fixed his problem so thank you very much for your technical insight and expertise.

Cheers!
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Outstanding. Glad you were able to resolve it so quickly.

Your making me look.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:43 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

My suggestion was to check the slack in the asr/throttle cables. But if it's fixed then
Old 09-02-2014, 02:56 AM
wheeljo2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5abivt
My suggestion was to check the slack in the asr/throttle cables. But if it's fixed then

Good call and that was my first suggestion been there done that before.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 Corvette No Power 1/4 throttle any ideas?

Quick Reply: 1994 Corvette No Power 1/4 throttle any ideas?