C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 vette engine stopped at expressway speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 01:44 PM
artpittman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 vette engine stopped at expressway speed

heard a faint pop and engine shut down. towed to home - fuel checks at 42 lbs. no spark at plugs or distributor and no pulse for injectors....checked voltage to distributor - 12 volts there...replaced distributor, checked coil, replaced computer - installed hypertech chip...still no spark....engine spins over nicely...no fire......so suggestions?????
Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by artpittman
heard a faint pop and engine shut down. towed to home - fuel checks at 42 lbs. no spark at plugs or distributor and no pulse for injectors....checked voltage to distributor - 12 volts there...replaced distributor, checked coil, replaced computer - installed hypertech chip...still no spark....engine spins over nicely...no fire......so suggestions?????

a just from the hip shot is the distributer moving, snapped cam, broken timing chain?
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 PM
artpittman
5th Gear

Originally Posted by s carter
a just from the hip shot is the distributer moving, snapped cam, broken timing chain?
pulled cap....distributor rotating...it surely has me puzzled...been a mechanic for my whole career (fords though - fedex vans) thought i'd like a challenge.. i can surely say this one has been a challenge...engine totally rebuilt in 2011..3000 miles since rebuild so the papers say. i have replaced maf, injectors, every sensor i can find....it has a bit of a cam in it from comp cam...was running fantastic then......it has to be something i am overlooking but darn if i know what it could be.....
Old 08-30-2014, 06:54 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

pulled cap....distributor rotating...it surely has me puzzled...been a mechanic for my whole career (fords though - fedex vans) thought i'd like a challenge.. i can surely say this one has been a challenge...engine totally rebuilt in 2011..3000 miles since rebuild so the papers say. i have replaced maf, injectors, every sensor i can find....it has a bit of a cam in it from comp cam...was running fantastic then......it has to be something i am overlooking but darn if i know what it could be.....

I am not sure of the procedure but I would look into pulse trigger system, you said earlier that everything wires down under distributor is new so its fairly safe to have confidence in them. so look into the triggers and grounds?

I just found this in the forums from back a few years
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tor-pulse.html

Last edited by s carter; 08-30-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:33 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Most auto parts stores can test the ignition module, so start there. It should have THERMAL grease under it (NOT dielectric).

You might have a bad pickup coil (two wires attach to the ignition module). It should read about 800 ohms.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:39 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

You might have mentioned this in some way above in your thread, especially since you mention the distributor is rotating........but the cam you mention made me think about something that happened to me......

I am wondering if the distributor gear is worn by the cam; when I had my engine rebuilt we used the stock distributor and gear and my ZZ9 roller cam ate the damn distributor gear in my 85...after about 3,000 miles.....the car shut down on the highway.....

I wish I would have known to replace that gear with a melonized or bronze gear when we did the rebuild......found out the hard way.....

just a thought......my be totally unrelated to your situation I understand.....good luck!

Last edited by 856SPEED; 08-31-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 AM
artpittman
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
You might have mentioned this in some way above in your thread, especially since you mention the distributor is rotating........but the cam you mention made me think about something that happened to me......

I am wondering if the distributor gear is worn by the cam; when I had my engine rebuilt we used the stock distributor and gear and my ZZ9 roller cam ate the damn distributor gear in my 85...after about 3,000 miles.....the car shut down on the highway.....

I wish I would have known to replace that gear with a melonized or bronze gear when we did the rebuild......found out the hard way.....

just a thought......my be totally unrelated to your situation I understand.....good luck!

this is why this situation is so confusing to me.....when it did this sudden stop thing i replaced the entire distributor including the pickup module and the ignition module....and the ecm......and the coil....its all new since the "event"....reason?? i could not get spark ..... so i work from what i would have assumed (and you know what that means) from the most obvious to the more elaborate... now i am at a "stand still".......checking voltage at the injectors today along with searching for perhaps a ground problem in the main system....since i am the third owner (maybe even fourth) it is a "search and rescue mission"..so many splices and color coding is a nightmare.....
Old 08-31-2014, 10:29 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

this is why this situation is so confusing to me.....when it did this sudden stop thing i replaced the entire distributor including the pickup module and the ignition module....and the ecm......and the coil....its all new since the "event"....reason?? i could not get spark ..... so i work from what i would have assumed (and you know what that means) from the most obvious to the more elaborate... now i am at a "stand still".......checking voltage at the injectors today along with searching for perhaps a ground problem in the main system....since i am the third owner (maybe even fourth) it is a "search and rescue mission"..so many splices and color coding is a nightmare.....

just because you replaced the whole distributor doesn't mean it can be removed for the problem do some basic tests on the new distributor make sure that you are getting Injector pulse, that the pick up coil is not burned out, I don't know if you replaced with a rebuilt or new out of the box but new can be broken.

If the Dist. checks good, start chasing from source to end component (yes I know what a joy)
Old 08-31-2014, 11:00 AM
ekistler1971
Intermediate

I have an 86 as well. When I bought it with a no spark / pulse condition it was fusible link "H" next to the battery. Maybe that will help.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:20 PM
artpittman
5th Gear

awesome on the fusible link hint....we'll check that now.....
Old 08-31-2014, 03:35 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ignition module inside your dizzy...

Get notified of new replies

To 86 vette engine stopped at expressway speed

Quick Reply: 86 vette engine stopped at expressway speed