C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Steering Wheel Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM
chipsc4
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Steering Wheel Install

Hi guys, I am fairly new to the C4 scene. I am trying to find out how to install the factory steering wheel on my 87. Its my dads car and he took it off and didnt notice how everything went together. I am puzzled to say the least as to how everything goes, and trying to make sure the telescoping still works. Hes old school and wants it to look factory, and because its his car well I dont have a choice.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Open up the PDF below and scroll down 3 pages, it tells you how to reinstall the steering wheel and has pictures of the parts to help......WW
Installing the lock for the telescopic function is trial and error, the best thing is to take the weird looking nut down until it starts to tighten, then back it off about a quarter inch, then install the little locking arm with the 2 screws making sure it's pointing straight up...If it won't engage far enough to lock the telescopic function then you have to turn the nut a little farther clockwise and try again....WW

http://dankai.shawwebspace.ca/asset/...ing_column.pdf

Last edited by WW7; 09-01-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:18 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by chipsc4
Hi guys, I am fairly new to the C4 scene. I am trying to find out how to install the factory steering wheel on my 87. Its my dads car and he took it off and didnt notice how everything went together. I am puzzled to say the least as to how everything goes, and trying to make sure the telescoping still works. Hes old school and wants it to look factory, and because its his car well I dont have a choice.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated
Put all of the parts you have in a couple snapshots and post maybe a snapshot of the top of the column as it is now. Not knowing what you've got or don't have instructions would be very difficult. If you post good snapshots it could easily be determined that you maybe have "enough" parts.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 AM
chipsc4
6th Gear

I am wondering if I have these spacers/washers in the right order? I am also wondering about how much I am going to need to crank down on the steering wheel. I tried it on the parts car and i felt like i was going to break the thing, and the telescoping does not work
Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 AM
chipsc4
6th Gear

I've also got these, but I believe all these parts go on the other side of the steering wheel
Old 09-01-2014, 10:34 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

If you look at the PDF I posted on page 3B57 you will see in the picture that you have the washers in the right way... .......You don't have a picture of the locking lever for the telescopic function of the wheel...Do you have this part???.WW

Last edited by WW7; 09-01-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 AM
chipsc4
6th Gear

I do have the locking lever! I am curious as to how to tighten the wheel back down. I just dont want to break anything and it seems with the puller it was REALLY tight coming off. Then again I am used to the old style steering wheels
Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chipsc4
I do have the locking lever! I am curious as to how to tighten the wheel back down. I just dont want to break anything and it seems with the puller it was REALLY tight coming off. Then again I am used to the old style steering wheels
If you haven't noticed already, everytime you try to push the steering wheel down on the shaft with the spring attached , the shaft moves down where you can't get the wheel or the nut on...What I did was get a long bolt with the proper thread size and screw it into the center of the shaft , so I could hold the shaft up while I pushed down on the wheel.. .Once you have enough threads showing you can put the nut on and tighten it down to 30 ft lbs of torque.You just hold the steering wheel from turning and tighten the nut till it pulles the wheel all the way down, then apply 30 ft lbs of torque...One more thing, there are markings (indents) on the shaft and steering wheel that you have to line up or your steering wheel will be crocked when the wheels are straight..One more thing I didn't see in your picture is the large spring for under the steering wheel , Im assuming it's still hooked to the steering wheel, you have to have this or the horn won't work.. It also pushes the wheel out when you unlock the telescopic locking arm.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 09-01-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM
chipsc4
6th Gear

im guessing that these are said alignment markings??
Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 PM
chipsc4
6th Gear

sorry but one last stupid question. In which position does the circlip go? Just want to make sure before i get to this.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:34 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

My 89 didn't have the clip, but some years did, I also don't see it in the picture of the parts in the PDF.....I believe the clip went on top of the wheel nut to stop the nut from backing off.. You may want to get a second opinion on this, but I think I remember seeing it listed as a lock clip for the wheel nut.....WW

Looks like I was right....I found a picture of the nut and lock clip on the Steering Column Service website below......
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.co...ip-7847029.php

Last edited by WW7; 09-01-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Overtorque
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WW7
Open up the PDF below and scroll down 3 pages, it tells you how to reinstall the steering wheel and has pictures of the parts to help......WW
Installing the lock for the telescopic function is trial and error, the best thing is to take the weird looking nut down until it starts to tighten, then back it off about a quarter inch, then install the little locking arm with the 2 screws making sure it's pointing straight up...If it won't engage far enough to lock the telescopic function then you have to turn the nut a little farther clockwise and try again....WW

[url]http://dankai.shawwebspace.ca/asset/view/32155/steering_column.pdf[/url
WW7

I am having an issue with getting the telescope lock to engage. I took my 1987 steering wheel off for a leather restoration. While installing the wheel via the shop manual instructions, I can not get the telescope to lock in place;the wheel free floats. Does the star locking nut need to be tightened down on top of the column control nut then backed off? Or is it suppose to be in an intermediate position? Frustrating job.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Steering Wheel Install

Quick Reply: C4 Steering Wheel Install