C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Engine Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:01 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Engine Squeaking

I've been having a persistent squeak after my engine warms up that is pretty annoying and, quite frankly, embarrassing. It seems to go away - or becomes less noticeable - at higher RPMs than idle. I thought it was the smog pump or the belt tensioner (both items needed to be replaced anyway) so I replaced those, and the squeak remained.
I decided I'd narrow my search by removing the belt after it starts squeaking to see if it is or is not the belt-driven accessories. Unfortunately, the squeak remained.
From what I've heard, the camshaft can cause a squeak with worn bearings (which I know it has). I can't think of anything else in the engine compartment that could squeak with the belt off. Is my diagnosis correct?

Last edited by C4ProjectCar; 09-07-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The outer ring on the harmonic balancer has slid back and it contacting the timing chain cover. I had this occur once.

The inspection cover for your torque converter is contacting the flywheel or crank. Usually does it right off the bat when cranked.

Have you tried to find the noise with a stethoscope.

DUB
Old 09-07-2014, 08:23 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
The outer ring on the harmonic balancer has slid back and it contacting the timing chain cover. I had this occur once.

The inspection cover for your torque converter is contacting the flywheel or crank. Usually does it right off the bat when cranked.

Have you tried to find the noise with a stethoscope.

DUB
I'll check the harmonic balancer.
Mine's a manual, so no torque converter.
I haven't yet; I don't have a stethoscope.
Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Do stock cranks have a harmonic balancer with an inner and outer ring? I thought the HB was the disc with the timing mark on it, which is a solid metal disk, not the kind with the rubber separating the two layers.

Last edited by C4ProjectCar; 09-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Videos. Post Videos. What else can anyone do, besides Guess and list all the things it could be.
Got to post a video
Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by cudamax
Videos. Post Videos. What else can anyone do, besides Guess and list all the things it could be.
Got to post a video
I'll take a video next time it's squeaking. Sorry about that.

Until then, here is what I've found boiled down:
  • Squeaks only when hot
  • Doesn't squeak at RPMs above idle
  • Still squeaks with the serpentine belt off
  • Squeak sounds like it's coming from below the intake manifold
  • I know my cam bearings are worn
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Last engine squeak repair was a dry rocker arm.

A long screwdriver will work as a stethoscope. Handle in your ear blade on component.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:23 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Sounds like you already know
Squeaks only when hot
Doesn't squeak at RPMs above idle
Still squeaks with the serpentine belt off
Squeak sounds like it's coming from below the intake manifold
I know my cam bearings are worn
Old 09-08-2014, 02:25 AM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Last engine squeak repair was a dry rocker arm.

A long screwdriver will work as a stethoscope. Handle in your ear blade on component.
And that can be checked just by pulling the valve cover, I assume?
Hmm, good tip. Thanks.

Sounds like you already know
Squeaks only when hot
Doesn't squeak at RPMs above idle
Still squeaks with the serpentine belt off
Squeak sounds like it's coming from below the intake manifold
I know my cam bearings are worn
Well, I just want to see if there's anything else that could be causing it so I can be sure to get rid of this horrible squeak as soon as possible. I also found very few reports of worn cam bearings causing a squeak.

Last edited by C4ProjectCar; 09-08-2014 at 02:29 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Yep, pull a cover if the problem is not there pull the other cover. If starting the engine with the covers off: Normally rocker arm clips are used to keep oil spray to a minimum I know you do not have them. Cut 2 of 6-8" tall lengths of cardboard, place them in the head between the valve springs & valve cover seat rail. Don't rev the engine unless you want to oil the tire thread.

Another DIY listening device: A length of vacuum or fuel hose. Cotton in one ear, end of hose in the other ear, search.

Doubt the cam bearings are the squeak cause.

Is your oil pressure still OK? No knocks, rattles, mechanical noise other than the squeak?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I had a squeak like that once that was coming from a rebuilt crate engine. I was all over that engine and transmission with no luck. Finally someone suggested the distributor may be just a little off center due to someone assembling the engine with more taken off one side of the deck or more likely, one shaved head and the other one not shaved which in effect cocked the intake manifold. Loosen the dist. hold down & see if the noise goes away. If it does, take a dist. gasket and cut it in half and place it along with a complete gasket under the dist. You will have to move it around until it is in the correct position to hold the dist. straight. Sounds weird I know but it is fact.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

The harmonic balancer is not a soild metal disc. There is a solid inner portion and a solid outer ring which is held to the inner ring by a band of rubber. The rubber will fall-out over the years and the outer ring will begin to slip and contact the timing cover, the crank pulley, etc.

Also since the timing marks on on the outer ring, if it slides, then setting engine timing becomes only a guess.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:04 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Yep, pull a cover if the problem is not there pull the other cover. If starting the engine with the covers off: Normally rocker arm clips are used to keep oil spray to a minimum I know you do not have them. Cut 2 of 6-8" tall lengths of cardboard, place them in the head between the valve springs & valve cover seat rail. Don't rev the engine unless you want to oil the tire thread.

Another DIY listening device: A length of vacuum or fuel hose. Cotton in one ear, end of hose in the other ear, search.

Doubt the cam bearings are the squeak cause.

Is your oil pressure still OK? No knocks, rattles, mechanical noise other than the squeak?
Thanks for the tip to avoid oil spray when I pull the valve covers and for the tip for listening.
Good to know it could be something other than the cam bearings.

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I had a squeak like that once that was coming from a rebuilt crate engine. I was all over that engine and transmission with no luck. Finally someone suggested the distributor may be just a little off center due to someone assembling the engine with more taken off one side of the deck or more likely, one shaved head and the other one not shaved which in effect cocked the intake manifold. Loosen the dist. hold down & see if the noise goes away. If it does, take a dist. gasket and cut it in half and place it along with a complete gasket under the dist. You will have to move it around until it is in the correct position to hold the dist. straight. Sounds weird I know but it is fact.
That would be great if it was that easy! The distributor was replaced recently by the PO so maybe it was put back on not quite right. I think the distributor actually hits on the hood a little bit, so I'm guessing that could have an effect.

Originally Posted by LannyL81
The harmonic balancer is not a soild metal disc. There is a solid inner portion and a solid outer ring which is held to the inner ring by a band of rubber. The rubber will fall-out over the years and the outer ring will begin to slip and contact the timing cover, the crank pulley, etc.

Also since the timing marks on on the outer ring, if it slides, then setting engine timing becomes only a guess.
I know what a harmonic balancer looks like, I just couldn't find something like that on my engine. It should be right on the front of the crank, right? I'll look again.

Thanks again for all the help, guys!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:15 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Whats going on we can't have a video and we should all just guess at all the possible things that could cause a sound
Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Whats going on we can't have a video and we should all just guess at all the possible things that could cause a sound
UHHHH...guess. Kinda like playing 'pin the tail on the donkey'.

I broke my crystal ball when I was kid...or I would already know what it was. And the company that sold me an AUTHENTIC Harry Potter magic wand (that way I KNOW it will work) keeps telling me it is in the mail.

ALSO.....
I had to guess on the harmonic balancer comment...because you did not state your year model.

Always post your year model.

DUB
Old 09-08-2014, 07:11 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Cuda, I'll post a video as soon as I can but it doesn't do it until it gets hot. I'll post a video next time I drive somewhere.

Originally Posted by DUB
UHHHH...guess. Kinda like playing 'pin the tail on the donkey'.

I broke my crystal ball when I was kid...or I would already know what it was. And the company that sold me an AUTHENTIC Harry Potter magic wand (that way I KNOW it will work) keeps telling me it is in the mail.

ALSO.....
I had to guess on the harmonic balancer comment...because you did not state your year model.

Always post your year model.

DUB
Darn, I was hoping your crystal ball would have my answer!

I'm sorry, that's my bad. It's a 1990 base model with the 6-speed.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:45 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the squeak go away or change when you disengage the clutch? Throwout or pilot bearing issue?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by cgantner5150
Does the squeak go away or change when you disengage the clutch? Throwout or pilot bearing issue?
Earlier I thought I saw some correlation between the clutch and the squeak, although recently there has been no relationship. It stays the same with the clutch pedal in or out.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Squeaking

Old 09-08-2014, 09:42 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never bothered to find out which one it was - it was all pulled out for stroking and a T5 in my 86. It would squeak in neutral with the clutch pedal released.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 AM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

As I was going through the process of burping the cooling system, I heard a new squeak. This one was far higher-pitched (my dad couldn't even hear it) and had a less regular repetition. Unfortunately, due to some issues while burping it, I wasn't able to get a video.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:08 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Unfortunately (fortunately?) the squeak has quieted down to the point where it isn't recognizable on a video. I'll just wait until the rebuilt and then let you know if that fixed it.

Quick Reply: Engine Squeaking