C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front Brake Pad Wear Pattern not symmetrical

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:37 AM
K.C.E.
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Front Brake Pad Wear Pattern not symmetrical

I just replaced my front brakes because they vibrated quite a bit when applying the brakes. I used Baer rotors and Hawk pads.....it did not go well and I now have several issues of concern due to the wear pattern on the old pads and the difficulty putting the calipers on the rotors with the new pads.

1. Brake pad wear pattern on right side of the old pads is rather unusual.

Both inner and outer brake pads had an 'uneven' wear pattern. The outer pad had a thickness of almost 1/4" at the bottom and then tapers down to approximately 1/16" at the top. The inner pad has the same pattern but reversed such that the thicker pad is on the top and then tappers down at the bottom. That is not good.

I assume this implies a problem in the caliper? The car never 'pulled' in a direction when applying brakes.

2. Brake pad wear pattern on the left side was consistent with an even thickness throughout. However, the outer pad was noticeably thicker than the inner pad.

3. After bleeding the brakes on both sides:

The right side still rubbs a little when I spun the rotor.
The left side rotor will turn but it definitely has a lot more rubbing between the rotor and brake pad. very noticeable.

I had a very difficult time putting the calipers back on the rotors with the new pads. It required tapping the caliper with a hammer to force it on.

Note: The car is still on jack stands and I have not put the tires back on and have not started the car to pressurize the brake system.

Specific to the rubbing issue between rotor and pads only ..... on my other cars, I would probably have put the tires back on the car and driven it at a low speed pumping the brakes......assuming that some realigning happens between the pads and rotors once you pressurize the system. If there is still a rubbing between rotor and pads during check out, then take it apart.

Does that make sense?

As always,......feedback welcome.

Thanks.

kc

Last edited by K.C.E.; 09-08-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: mispelled word

Quick Reply: Front Brake Pad Wear Pattern not symmetrical