C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 L98 Head Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:52 PM
jake corvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL - - yup you have to use grease - and yes it does take a bit - but it works. Used to buy grease in a five gallon pail, guess it didn't seem like a lot then -

Guess you could use oil instead - if you could discover a way to pressurize the cylinder with it.

Anyway, good luck

Jake

Last edited by jake corvette; 09-11-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:57 AM
Dega500
Instructor

I set the engine in the floor, put starter, etc... back on and tried cranking it over. That didn't work. The rockers and push rods are off so valve were closed the whole time. I installed all four plugs on that side. Could that maybe affect this method in some way.

If I can rig something up for the compressor I'll try that next. I don't have one of the rubber nosed air guns but I can pick one of those up on the way home tonight. Does anyone know right off what thread the plugs are? I should know this but... Wait, I have fittings with my compression gauge, hmmm. evrything would be backward but maybe I could use that as a base.

We use grease at work to remove stubborn bearings and couplings. It usually takes some rigging but that is a good option should all else fail.

Thanks again
Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dega500
I set the engine in the floor, put starter, etc... back on and tried cranking it over. That didn't work. The rockers and push rods are off so valve were closed the whole time. I installed all four plugs on that side. Could that maybe affect this method in some way.

If I can rig something up for the compressor I'll try that next. I don't have one of the rubber nosed air guns but I can pick one of those up on the way home tonight. Does anyone know right off what thread the plugs are? I should know this but... Wait, I have fittings with my compression gauge, hmmm. evrything would be backward but maybe I could use that as a base.

We use grease at work to remove stubborn bearings and couplings. It usually takes some rigging but that is a good option should all else fail.

Thanks again
Rocker arms gotta be on.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Dega500
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Rocker arms gotta be on.
I was afraid of that!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why? With the rocker off, both valves will slam shut. Thats what he needs
Old 09-12-2014, 12:07 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Take a strong gasket scraper or quality putty knife or large bladed sharp screwdriver. Where the head meets the block in the corner of the valley near the china wall, place one of these tools in the gasket space and hit the end with a hammer or mallet. The head will break loose. It may scuff the head a little, but it is in a non sealing area and won't affect the head sealing. Been there, done that.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:16 PM
jake corvette
Instructor

The older "normal" sized sparkplugs have 14 millimeter threads - not sure what the newer smaller plugs might be -

Quite simple to make an adapter - just use an old spark plug shell and weld/braze the appropriate connector to it. Might even be able to tap the inner part of the metal sparkplug shell itself and then simply screw your adapter into it.

Just some thoughts –

Jake -
Old 09-12-2014, 06:20 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383vett
Take a strong gasket scraper or quality putty knife or large bladed sharp screwdriver. Where the head meets the block in the corner of the valley near the china wall, place one of these tools in the gasket space and hit the end with a hammer or mallet. The head will break loose. It may scuff the head a little, but it is in a non sealing area and won't affect the head sealing. Been there, done that.
..This..or you really don't have all the bolts out..
Old 09-12-2014, 06:38 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cudamax
Why? With the rocker off, both valves will slam shut. Thats what he needs
You need something to compress. That being air. You need a way to get the air in there. Valves be closed all the time will not let air in to be compressed.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:42 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Sure it will He should be shooting air in the cyl thru the spark plug hole and needs the valves closed
Old 09-12-2014, 06:52 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cudamax
Sure it will He should be shooting air in the cyl thru the spark plug hole and needs the valves closed
But he is cranking it.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Rather than the rubber tipped, I'd use a screw in, like some of the better compression testers employ.

The best penetrating oil is a mix of acetone and ATF; 50:50, I think. The tough part is getting it in where the real adhesion lies.

Any chance this engine was in a flood? My other thought is possible nasty damage to the head from the chemical weld from the dissimilar metals and some water.

Hope not!

Last edited by whalepirot; 09-14-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Here is something I found on another site with the same problem.
if the motor isnt stuck and you can get a starter hooked up to it, pll the spark plugs on the bank you want to remove, thread some rope (cotton clothes line works good,) into the spark plug holes and bump the motor over with the starter, when the piston comes up, the rope will push the head off.

Sure you got ALL the bolts? Manifold is off, right? Can you take a piece of steel about 2 foot long with a right angle on the end and bolt this to something on head so you can put a little muscle to rock the head back and forth? Leverage?

caleb, take a wooden hammer handle and stick into one of the ports and then pull the handle at the other end then if it is still stuck use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer to hit the head while pulling if still no good and now that I think about it just put something in the valley and use a long handle in the port and use the thing in the valley as a fulcrum (pivot point) so you will have enough leverage to pry it off

Caleb, you still have bolts in there somewhere!
if a hammer handle in an intake port won't pop it, you still have it bolted on!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:49 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

First, locate cylinders with both valves closed. Then, make up a fitting with an old spark plug and a zerk fitting (actually, you'd need several). Pump the cylinder full of grease and then keep pumping. The hydraulic pressure will raise the head enough to get wedges under it. I haven't tried this myself but I've talked to a couple of people who have used it satisfactorily.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:57 PM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

This guy made and plate and used a puller. Worked for him

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...0063&showall=1
Old 09-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Boy, this has sure collected a huge number of suggestions! There must be cooling system corrosion to cause this much trouble! Here's another idea:
Leave the rockers off. Put the front cylinder (is it #1 or #2?) at TDC.
Fill the combustion chamber with heavy oil. Rotate the crank a little. Pour in a little more oil, maybe 40-50cc. Install a spark plug. Repeat this oil injection process in the rear cylinder. Install a spark plug. Remove the center two spark plugs. Hit the starter!

Old 09-13-2014, 08:09 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

I have another idea. Do you have an engine hoist? If you do, you can put 1 bolt in the front accessory bolt hole of the head, and 1 bolt in the rear of the head with a chain and hook the chain the hook on the engine hoist and pump it up.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 L98 Head Stuck

Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

If you live near a Foundry. Bring ur motor by and ask if you can put it in one of their Huge ovens. My buddies have one thats like 24x24 with railroad tracks going into it, and for the stuff that calls for Hardening. It goes in the oven, sometimes thousands of parts at once. At 350 degrees of so for 24 hrs. To give the metal a hardness of the top .004 or so of the stuff surface. Rockwell Hardness
Put your motor in one of those and set for 200 degrees after 12 hrs or so, it will pop right off, warmed.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:06 AM
ex-x-fire
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 150 Posts

Take a picture of the head so we can see what's going on.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Dega500
Instructor

Originally Posted by 383vett
BINGO!!!!!
Finally decided to go for broke and took the stiffest putty knife I had and tapped it in as suggested above. Then went to small flat head screw driver then a larger one until it came loose. Head number two took all of about 15 minutes to remove. The head gasket is an orange color and just about disintegrated.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I learned slot.

Quick Reply: 91 L98 Head Stuck