C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My Build! 383, Superram, AFR, custom cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:36 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

When I had the SR, I bitched to LPE and they said to slot the screws so you can use a small flat driver to turn it most of the way and tighten with a wrench.

Also the other was is to screw from above by drilling the threads out of the manifold and doing Helicore on the runners. For safety, use blue thread locker.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What I have found to work for me with installing a Superram is first do not tighten the runners to the manifold.... leave a little wiggle room, set the plenum base on the runners and using a 3/8" ratchet, cup the bolt under the plenum starting with the inner bolts first.... the ratchet helps you easily support and supply gentle upwards pressure when you are trying to come from the top and screwing upwards with the slots you created on the bolt.

Do the inner bolts first.... everything is easy after that, when finished, tighten the runner/manifold bolts. As a note, I use a ball nosed T-hex wrench for this.... the ball nose allows you to get at those bolts at slight angles. I simply utilized a double gasket on the plenum lid.... doesn't hurt if you have the billet lid too. They are a cheap upgrade if you can find one.

Good build thread Cypher 85 and looks like some great advise too.

I built a very similar combination years back.... you'll love it when finished and running like it should. Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:24 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Masterspykiller
383Vett and Nutz4C4:

I am installing a SR this weekend for my new build too. I have read Vader86's and TEAMZR1's detailed instructions for installing the SR. However, I am a midnight mechanic by necessity, so I don't know all the short hand lingo.

QUESTION ONE:
What is VHT? I understand the concept (adhesive sealant on one side of the gasket, non-adhesive sealant on the other), but I have no idea what VHT is.

QUESTION TWO:
Precisely how do you "stud" the bolts in the SR (and which ones)? I have read this suggestion before and even saw an image, but I really could not figure out what was done to what. I apologize for my abysmal lack of understanding, but I am extremely grateful for your guidance.

Thanks in advance,
M
VHT was the wrong terminology (brain dead). I use Permatex Ultra Blue or Black which won't affect 02 sensors.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Guy I just did a superram for used an ARP sbc oil pan stud kit works great. Dont know if helps
Old 09-17-2014, 03:20 AM
Masterspykiller
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adaptations

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Guy I just did a superram for used an ARP sbc oil pan stud kit works great. Dont know if helps
ARP oil pan stud kit. Huh. I just wonder at the creativity of people. How do these things even pop into their minds? Amazing.

Most or all of the bolts are already present for the SR, so I'll give it a go as-is. ARP bolts are only a credit card and overnight away, so I'll give that a shot if I run into walls.

Cheers!
M
Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks like it turned out good for you Mike. Glad I could help.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

How did that cam work out for you? Dealing with a similar issue now. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:04 AM
cypher85
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matatk
How did that cam work out for you? Dealing with a similar issue now. Thanks.
Hey Matatk,

Honestly I couldn't be happier with it. It is perfect for my needs and how I enjoy driving the car. It is aggressive, you can feel the surging with low rpm/low speed driving; rush hour traffic can be a pain. The performance is excellent and the mid range torque is intoxicating.

My best friend has an 04 zo6 which is stock, and I pull on him pretty good at the track. My car is definitely faster than his; he says my car is more fun to drive.

I found a vacuum leak with the superram a few months ago, so while I had the intake off I had the injectors rebuilt for piece of mine. After putting it all back together I took it to the same dyno for a refresher tune and it picked up another 15lbs and 10 hp to the wheels

So in a nut shell I love it, but it really depends on how you want to drive your car.. I have sacrificed a little drivability for performance; though most of the time it drives absolutely normal. It can just be a little loud lol.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:54 AM
Matatk
Drifting

Thanks for the response. Glad you're enjoying it. Your description sounds exactly like my current cam. I plan on going a bit smaller and that helps my decision.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM
Vic'89
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi, did you ever track your setup ?

Vic
Old 12-14-2015, 09:58 AM
cypher85
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vic'89
Hi, did you ever track your setup ?

Vic
Hi, I never had a chance to take it to the strip. It also is not setup for the strip yet, I need to get some good tires for that. Right now I can't put much throttle into it without lighting up the tires in first and second gear. The track I referenced in my last post was a road course.

I have a much bigger problem now.. This weekend I was driving it and the oil pressure dropped significantly while getting on it. I now have a pronounced "knock" condition. I haven't had much of a chance to diagnose it because my starter also crapped out on me lol. I am worried that I spun a bearing and will have to pull the motor out again.. these things are parts eating **tches. The knock did not appear to be coming from the valve train. I will know more when I pull the valve covers off.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Wow, that sucks about the knock. Keep us posted. If you're pulling it let me know and I'll come give you a hand. On a side note, I ordered an LPE 219 cam today, I think it will have a little nicer driveability than the last one.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:24 PM
àbsinth77
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 super ram

I live in Ohio and need to know if you still have the tuner's contact info that you used in Ohio?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:40 AM
cypher85
Instructor

Originally Posted by àbsinth77
I live in Ohio and need to know if you still have the tuner's contact info that you used in Ohio?
PM sent
Old 04-26-2017, 11:11 AM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

I went through the same thing with broken ringlangs. What dish were your pistons when they broke? Are you sure about your static ratio? My TPIS AFR heads are also 55cc.

Mike
Old 04-26-2017, 03:31 PM
cypher85
Instructor

Originally Posted by Deepa
I went through the same thing with broken ringlangs. What dish were your pistons when they broke? Are you sure about your static ratio? My TPIS AFR heads are also 55cc.

Mike
I believe I was running -16cc dish. That was a while ago though. My current build has the bottom end built by Tony Bischoff with forged -16cc pistons and -53cc chambers and compression over 11:0.1. My motor is blueprinted with a tight quench of .036-.039.

Last edited by cypher85; 04-26-2017 at 03:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Pile_Driver (04-28-2017)

Quick Reply: My Build! 383, Superram, AFR, custom cam