C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dumb questions...Flywheel and motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 02:59 PM
dchildress
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumb questions...Flywheel and motor mounts

94 Coupe 6 speed, 105,000 miles Bolt on mods...85% street 15% strip.

Have motor out for lots of little things. Going to replace flywheel with SMF and replace motor mounts.

SMF - I have a Centerforce 100130 Dual Friction set up and am looking at Centerforce 700105 flywheel or Findanze 198551. Could I get opinions on each? Pros, cons, things to watch for, expectations.

Motor Mounts - A faile MSC Opti left me sputtering home years ago which seriously overheated my old shorties to the point the heat wraps on motor mounts charred a bit and tathered. Installing EM coated long tubes while motor is out along with new mounts. Do I need those heat wraps?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:42 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 399 Likes on 262 Posts

You have some serious problems with your part numbers.

The Centerforce PN 700105 is for a ZF6 C4 Corvette with an old style 2pc rear seal engine. LTX is 1pc rear seal.

The Fidanza PN 198551 is for a C4 Corvette ZR1 with the DOHC engine.

You should be comparing:

Centerforce PN 700175

Fidanza PN 198501

SPEC PN SC05S

I actually have the Fidanza in my 92 6spd... been in my car since the car had 50,000 miles on it. I put 20,000 miles on it with the stock engine and a SPEC Stage 3 clutch. Since I built the 383 it's had another 10,000 miles of abuse put on it with nearly 500RWHP in front of it.... It's light and revs well. It's a quality peice and fittament was perfect. The tranny is lound at idle... even back when my car had the stock engine in it the tranny noise was noticeable... now with the big engine the noise is just horrid.

I have never used the Centerforce FW so I can't comment...

I have used the SPEC PN SC05S which is also billet steel... They have 2 version of the same PN and I have used both the Light Weight version and the Heavy Weight "Extra Mass" version.

The LW version is in a 430RWHP LT4 I built and it's working fine. There is some tranny gear noise at idle and under acceleration... it is noticeable but the car is a 96 and it's not terrible (like my 92). I can tell you that the wner is happy with it... infact when he choose to swap the engine I built into his newly restored 96 GS convertible he kept the SPEC FW as well.

The HW version I used in a stock 95... it worked great in the stock replacement application and it was actually quieter as far as tranny noise over the factory DM (which was toast).

Thats my take on FW's....

As for the Motor mounts... IMO you should keep or replace the heat shields with headers.... on the pass side a primary tube runs very close to the motor mount... so close you have to install the motor mount bolt from the front with the nut in the rear against the tube....

Some one did a write up a few yrs ago bout how they built new heat shieds for the mounts... I did a search but couldn't find it.... basically he took the old ones and used them as a pattern. Got the heat shield material in a roll from ebay I think.
Will
Old 09-12-2014, 02:06 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Some one did a write up a few yrs ago bout how they built new heat shieds for the mounts... I did a search but couldn't find it.... basically he took the old ones and used them as a pattern. Got the heat shield material in a roll from ebay I think.
Will
I've seen the thread recently and that's what was done. Just use the old as a pattern and get some quality material from "wherever". In the thread which was maybe '09 or so the link to the eBay seller of course isn't going to work. User "Pianoguy" comes to mind.

I believe maybe "Jagdpanzer" (Phil) in the ZR-1 section has done similar and he keeps very good notes on sources and his construction projects.

Here's Phil's construction with some notes:
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...6&postcount=26

The LT1/4 & 5 share the same mount.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 09-12-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:09 PM
dchildress
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured I was way off on my numbers using my phone trying to look them up last night...thanks for helping out with that.

I think I will try to reuse or replace the motor mount wraps.

I am afraid the noise would drive me crazy of the light weight FW but the advantage it seems to have is the quicker revving and lost power getting RPMs up from idle.

I think from what you're saying along with others I have read, for my application I might be better off with the SMF in steel. I want to go with the Centerforce to match what I already have.

I am still not convinced my old DM (with only 5K on it) is broken. I don't know how to tell and since motor is out NOW is the time to fix what could break down road.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by dchildress
Do I need those heat wraps?
both my 94's motor mounts are cracked like the liberty bell and the heat wraps looked like they were hit by shrapnel. i bought new mounts, a piece of heat wrap and some spray glue from summit racing and made my own wraps using one of the stock wraps as a pattern. could not find any hd stainless staples so i used some hd staple from work and hog rings to hold everything together. motor should be going back in this weekend or next.

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb questions...Flywheel and motor mounts

Quick Reply: Dumb questions...Flywheel and motor mounts