C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Help with 4+3 problem (Problem #1)

Old 07-29-2002, 07:59 PM
TAC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with 4+3 problem (Problem #1)

My '87 4+3 is giving me a little problem. Sometimes right after I start the car I cannot shift out of Reverse--it feels like the shifter is jammed tighter than a drum. Then, after a little clutch pumping and slight movement in reverse I can yank it out but at that point I can have problems getting it into first. The shifter can be moved around but refuses to push into first. It feels like the shifter is up against something it can't move. I sometimes have a similar problem when I come to a stop light. I put the car in neutral and sit there and when I go to put the car in 1st it just doesn't want to. After a brief shifting into another gear I can then get it in 1st with no real problem.

More information:

-I can ALWAYS shift into first when coming to a stop if I shift right from another gear while still moving. The problem of not going into first arises when I leave it in neutral with the clutch out and then try to put it in first. I can shift into 1st at 20-25 with no problem...no grinding or anything.

-I don't have a problem ever shifting into reverse-only out of reverse.

-Filter was changed on OD unit < 10,000 miles ago and fluids were replaced in both tranny and OD with synthetic. Gear oil in tranny and AT fluid in OD. 35k miles on car/tranny.

-I have no problems at all with OD.

One knowledgeable friend suggested I lose the synthetic (Redline I believe) and go back to standard oil--at least in the tranny. He experienced a very similar type lockup problem and solved it with a simple fluid change back to OEM type stuff.

Could it be a simple shifter alignment problem?

Please Help....
Old 07-29-2002, 08:10 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

When coming TO the stop do you pop the car in neutral before stopping? If so the gears aren't perfectly lined up and you need to move the car a little or put it in another gear to line em' up. :) I've experienced the "stuck in R" thing before and just moving the car literally 1/4" backwards frees it up nice.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:28 PM
TAC
Drifting

Default Re: (scorp508)

Wow, Scorp...you must live here! Thanks for the quick answer. Yes, I probably do shift to neutral before coming to a stop at the lights but I don't think I do it when pulling into the garage. I'm pretty sure I'm in first until I stop and then go to reverse to turn the car off. Then...for some reason...the next time I start the car and go to shift out of reverse it binds.

At this point you don't think there's a problem with the tranny and OD? The clutch was replaced a year ago and I don't think it's bad since I don't grind gears. I'll try to be more observant about exactly the conditions that lead up to the binding but it happens so infrequently I forget about it. Thanks again..

[Modified by TAC, 4:28 PM 7/29/2002]
Old 07-29-2002, 11:05 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help with 4+3 problem (TAC)

Mine doesn't like going into 1st when cold; when warmed up it goes right in. I just think it's worn synchros...

As Scorp said, if you're at a stop in N, with clutch out, and want to get in 1st quick, put it in 3rd or 4th first, then shift into 1st. That "lines up" the gears and it will slide right in...

The reverse problem sounds like your key-lock cable is binding, probably at the shifter. It may be kinked, rusted, or have a foreign object in the shifter area where the cable attaches. You'll be amazed what you'll find when you pull the console and side panels off...

[Modified by Rich B., 10:08 PM 7/29/2002]
Old 07-30-2002, 12:31 AM
TAC
Drifting

Default Re: Help with 4+3 problem (Rich B.)

Mine doesn't like going into 1st when cold; when warmed up it goes right in. I just think it's worn synchros...

As Scorp said, if you're at a stop in N, with clutch out, and want to get in 1st quick, put it in 3rd or 4th first, then shift into 1st. That "lines up" the gears and it will slide right in...

The reverse problem sounds like your key-lock cable is binding, probably at the shifter. It may be kinked, rusted, or have a foreign object in the shifter area where the cable attaches. You'll be amazed what you'll find when you pull the console and side panels off...

[Modified by Rich B., 10:08 PM 7/29/2002]
Thanks. If it continues I'll look into pulling the console apart this winter.
Old 07-30-2002, 07:26 AM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Thanks. If it continues I'll look into pulling the console apart this winter.
...Sounds like a lot of work, huh?... :D

It's not. It becomes a 10 minute job after you've done it a couple of times. 15 minutes with pulling the seat!... :lol:
Old 07-30-2002, 09:18 AM
tarheelracer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problems on mine too. I figured it was a synchro problem that I don't need to worry about as long as it still shifts, because of NO money :( . If I can't get it in gear I'll just let the clutch out and start all over, things always line up the 2nd time. If I'm rolling at all when I shift to reverse (with clutch fully depressed) I get a nasty ouch gear scrape sound :eek: A very punk untrusted mechanic said it was a driveshaft brake, or something that he couldn't fix yada yada yada because I have such "rare" trans. yada yada yada.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:29 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

If I'm rolling at all when I shift to reverse (with clutch fully depressed) I get a nasty ouch gear scrape sound :eek:
Never shift into reverse if not at a stop. There are no synchros on that gear. Always come to a stop first.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:52 AM
tarheelracer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

I do, but when I first got the car, I was unaware of that fact. I never shift on a roll now.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 4+3 problem (Problem #1)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with 4+3 problem (Problem #1)