C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question about fuel smell in oil

Old 09-14-2014, 02:10 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Default Question about fuel smell in oil

Hi guys. I spend most of my time over in the C6 forum but I purchased a 1993 Anniversary edition for my son when he was 13. I have no idea of the car's history as it was purchased at auction.

When first inspecting the car I noticed the smell of gas in the oil. I read up on this and it seemed to be a common issue. I replaced the original injectors. The car had 65,000 miles on it.

I picked up a set of the modified Bosch 3 injectors for the 1993 and installed them easily. I also wanted to replace the fuel filter as but it was a PITA to get to and it looked almost new so I skipped it.

I then changed the oil and put about 500 miles on it. The oil still smelled like gas. About 2 years goes by I put about 500 miles a year on it just making sure it came up to temp once the month and drove around during the spring, summer and fall. I changed the oil each year with fully synthetic German Castrol 0W-30.

My son turned 16 today and got his permit. I was checking out his car over the last few months and noticed it is very hard to start when cold. Starts right up when warm.

I started thinking the new injectors could be leaking down but I can't seem to find this as being a common issues with these injectors.

Is it just because the car sits too much or do I have another problem? I guess the injectors could be bad but it runs perfectly once started. Much better than with the original injectors. I also replaced another part that is commonly replaced with the injectors but I don't recall the part after about 3 years

I should also note that the oil pressure is very good. At 1600 RPM I'm seeing about 40 PSI when fully warm.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
-Mike

Last edited by C7-Beast; 09-14-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:27 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

What size injectors did you put in? Notice any blue smoke at all?
Old 09-14-2014, 08:48 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

after sitting for such long periods, I wouldnt be real surprised by the fuel smell and not worry about it if it wasnt real strong.try it after driving it for a while, the smell should be gone.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:11 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm not sure but the fuel pressure regulator may be leaking down.

You can check it by checking for fuel or fuel odor from the vacuum line to it. Check out my saga:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-is-this.html
Old 09-14-2014, 10:14 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
What size injectors did you put in? Notice any blue smoke at all?
Sorry, it was so long ago I don't recall. I know I did extensive research and I believe it was a forum vendor that had these for me. They were marked as "For 1993 Corvette LT1 only" so guessing there is something different about the 93 LT1 injectors vs. later years. I do not notice any blue smoke that would make me think oil was getting into the combustion chamber.

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
after sitting for such long periods, I wouldnt be real surprised by the fuel smell and not worry about it if it wasnt real strong.try it after driving it for a while, the smell should be gone.
Thanks. My brother who works on cars much more often I, said the same thing...."Just drive it more and see if it continues"

Originally Posted by rharker

You can check it by checking for fuel or fuel odor from the vacuum line to it. Check out my saga:
Thanks, I will look into that. That may have been the other part replaced but not 100% sure. I've been blessed with a really poor memory
Old 09-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Mark8801
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
My son turned 16 today and got his permit. I was checking out his car over the last few months and noticed it is very hard to start when cold. Starts right up when warm.
Smell of gas in the oil and hard to start cold sound like you have something in the fuel system leaking down (injector or fuel pressure regulator). Probably an injector.

Need to stick a fuel pressure gauge on it to confirm or rule those things out.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

If the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm is ruptured it can cause this symptom. The fuel gets sucked into the plenum through the FPR vacuum line and then goes into the cylinders and leaks past the rings and into the crank case.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:14 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by rharker

Old 09-15-2014, 02:54 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

These cars run better and seem to last longer if they are driven regularly. So bringing the engine up to full temperature on a regular basis is a good idea, but the oil needs even more time to reach full temperature. Any volatiles in the oil won't vaporize until the oil gets hot. The PCV system can't do it's full job until the oil gets hot. I suggest you drive it for at least another 15 minutes after the engine reaches full temp.

This won't fix a leaky injector or FPR diaphragm, but wanted to mention it anyway.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

I went back and checked and I did replace the FPR at the same time I replaced the injectors. Guess it's time to get a fuel pressure gauge on it.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:53 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Next cold start, try and turn the key to the "ON" position and wait 10 seconds and see if it will fire right up. If it does, you have a leak down problem at the injectors or fuel pump.

I am sure your boy will solve the "sitting still" issue. And I hope he is a very responsible, well trained driver. If not you may not have to worry about it long.

Good luck to both of you!!

Get notified of new replies

To Question about fuel smell in oil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about fuel smell in oil